chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I hate to say it but I'll never buy another product from FMF. I know everyone loves them but they are the worst customer service business I ever delt with. I purchased the Gnarly Torque pipe earlier this year for my '99 KDX200. I thought I was nuts because the pipe would not go on no matter what I did. Thought the part # was wrong but I checked, again and again. So I sent it back. Got another one in the mail and the same thing. FMF in all of it's wisdom said there was nothing wrong with the pipe and would not refund me the $38 it cost me to send it from PA to CA twice! It's not the $38 bucks mind you, it's the fact that they were manufactured incorrectly and they finally admitted to me over the phone that they were. Well, after all that I still didn't get the money back but the third pipe did finally work. It's just the pricipal. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one that experienced that line of bad products either.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but thanks for sharing your story. There are many other stories of poor fit and craftsmanship as far as the FMF products go. I'd be angry, too. Makes you wonder how they stay in business, doesn't it?

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Thanks for the info. There are just too many stories of FMF products that don't fit, IN ADDITION TO poor customer service. I imagine the way they stay in business is that they have a name that has been around for just about as long as dirtbiking, and when their products do fit, they work well.

I've said it before though, I'll never buy an FMF product. There are just too many other options out there to justify spending my money on parts that fit poorly or not at all, and the resulting need to deal with a customer service department that doesn't want to be of service. But to each his own...

Regards,
Lutz

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by Lutz
I've said it before though, I'll never buy an FMF product. There are just too many other options out there to justify spending my money on parts that fit poorly or not at all...

What other options are there besides Pro Circuit & FMF for pipes? I'm aware of a few other small companies, but they're nowhere near as established as PC or FMF, so IMO they're not really viable options. I just got a new FMF pipe but am open to other options... I just don't know of anything else out there

weber.s

Mar 26, 2003
I have also had an bad and expensive experiance with FMF, I bought a Gnarly for my 2002 KDX, after only a few weeks my bike would not turn over.
I opened it up to find my piston and barrel was smashed, there were small metal fragments everywhere, so I split my crank and found pieces of welding splatter and a piece of Co2 welding wire. I suspected it was from my FMF pipe, as there is no welding in a bikes enjine. I shook my pipe and more welding splatter fell out!!!! On closer inspection I noticed that the welded seam along the top of the pipe was of bad quality. I e-mailed FMF and explained my story, they requested pictures, which I sent to them, and that was the last I have heard from them, that was in March 2003, I have tried to contact them at least ten times since, but I am obviously not importent enough to them, it might be the fact that Im from South Africa, and everyone thinks that we still live in the bush and hunt lions......but we have computers and KDX 200 in our caves!!!!!!

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
To my knowledge their are 4 choices if you go aftermarket for a KDX: Bills, DynaPort, Procircuit, or FMF. I've heard good things about all, but the most popular is seemingly the FMF. I wonder why their hasn't been a shootout of some sort between the brands that shows dyno results?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I contacted Bill's about what pipes they have available for the KDX. No response yet - their online page does not reference a KDX offering.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
I found a site that has a few RM's on the dyno comparing bone stock and with Bills pipe...not very impressive at all on the 125. The 250 looks noticeable.
http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/testbed.html

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Oops...I almost forgot...the British company DEP also makes a pipe for the 200/220. Very popular overseas in Aus and GB. I'm not sure if they come in anything other than works finish, though.

Joe Ortiz

May 28, 2003
I own a 2002 KDX with the FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe and Turbine Core 2 Arrester, never had a problem with it, it's a little tricky too install, but it fits like a glove, I love it.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I have to say that I'm not surprised there are more people out there that are disgusted with them. I will never ever buy anything from them again. I hear that the Dynaport is better anyway. Oh well.

kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
Ive got the Pro Circuit pipe on my KDX200 and could not be happier. First of all, It fit perfect and installed in minutes. As for performance, you will lose a little in the bottom range, but in the mid through upper end you better hang on. It woke up the bike big time. I ride mostly trails and tight woods, but in the summer when the woods are shut down, i put the paddle tire on and head for the coast. The pipe does a good job.

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
Yes, kdxme is definetly right. I too have the Pro Circuit pipe and couldn't have been happier. Just like he said it does take away a little bottom but that makes it even more fun and challenging on the tight trails. Top end-- you bet you better hang on because it rips!!!!!! Fit is to perfection and is very reliable. I definetly recommend the Pro Circuit pipe to anyone looking for a great, dependable, "working" pipe for their money.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Just talked to one of my riding buddies. He has a 88 cr250, just recieved his FMF pipe. Come to find out, the top pipe to frame mount is just tack wielded. No bead at all!!!! What gives??? He said "i could fix it but if thats the way they do bus. Im not giving them my money" He took it back to the dealers, thru it on there desk, and said JUNK and now Hes getting a PC. I like my PC.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
Looks like I'm not alone. The funny thing is that the only thing wrong with the pipe I got was that the indent for the ingnition housing was too small. I thought about whacking it with a hammer to simplify things but then I thought I might do something to rob it of power. Well when I got the pipe back directly from FMF I think that's all they did to it anyway!

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I have a ProCircuit Platinum Pipe and it fits like a glove. 5 to 10 minute job. The bike rips now in the upper rpm range.

Dynoport is the next pipe I'm buying. You call Dynoport with a question and they put you right through to Rich - the owner! I have a feeling that customer service will not be a problem, and Rich really seems to know his stuff.

He say's that his pipes are East Coast pipes. I've just gotta try one!

FMF will NEVER see any of my money! They can kiss my ass. :moon:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I bought a 00 ktm 250 exc pipe from fmf and although the pipe stamp was the correct one, the pipe was for something like a 200. The stamp was definately put on the wrong pipe. I got no where with FMF too. They say they use a jig but I think it must be a bit wobbly like their brains.

Top Bottom