GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I got this killer dealio in the Mail this week from Marriott Vacation Club Resorts.  Four nights at the Newport Beach, CA Hotel and Tennis Club plus $100 in Restaurant vouchers, all for $198.  It sounds like the perfect little 4-day weekend getaway. 

Except I have to go listen to one of those hour and a half Time Share presentations and I am not sure what to expect.  I've heard some of them are relentless.......I have no desire to own a timeshare, but I don't want it to get ugly and ruin my weekend.

Anyone been through these?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
A couple of years ago I got a similar offer from a company called Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe. They were selling Siberian ski junkets at a reduced rate, and airfare was included. It was a combination one way/round trip ticket. You could leave on any Monday, and return the previous Friday.

I went to the presentation, and they really put the hard sell on me. I listened to them for 7 and a half hours, and finally I decided I'd had enough. I kept trying to ease out of the meeting, but every time I stood up, they would stand in front of the door until I sat back down. They even made me hold the free toaster the entire time I was there.

I eventually fell asleep, and woke up naked and hungry in scenic Hackensack, New Jersey.

The moral of the story? ALWAYS wear underwear.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
I have been to a few Natalie. I bought at one in Florida and am very happy I did. I have set thru the hard sell programs and some of these people are good. If you are not interested be up front about the fact that you are not interesed. Once my wife and I took a vacation in the Bahamas on one of those deals. We told the salesman right away we were not interestedc at all and that we just came for the cheap vacation. He asked us if we would be offended if he didn't spend much time with us. HA :laugh: made my day, he signed the card and moved on to someone that he had a chance with.

Have fun :)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I eventually fell asleep, and woke up naked and hungry in scenic Hackensack, New Jersey.

The moral of the story? ALWAYS wear underwear.

I almost had to clean the coke off the keyboard and monitor after that :laugh:

Natalie, The wife and I sat through one in Vegas and as Sr. says be up front at the first opportunity with the salesman. we told the salesman right off after the 1 hour presentation that we were only there for the Freebie and boom we were out the door after 2 more minutes of him faintly attempting to find any interest on our part. They are good at their jobs though after we left me being Mr. Impulsive was thinking about going back to find out all the details, thank god I got married :laugh:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
There is nothing wrong with the timeshare concept Nat, The wife and I have bought a couple over the years and they are fantastic if you get the right deal. We take vacations all over the country and world and stay in 5-star resorts and enjoy it a lot. The wife and little one ar going to Cancun next week.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Ive done 2 of them, each of them earned me a $50 gift certificat at a local fancy resturaunt. Each was a 1 1/2 hour deal. Both took 3 hours door to door. I vow to never do anouther. My vacation time is worth more than that to me. But it sounds like you would get a lot more out of yours. Basically youd be getting a room there for 4 days for $98.

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Sr KX Rider - There *is* something wrong with purchasing a timeshare through a retail channel - you typically pay 5-10X more than they are worth - Don't believe me? Try and sell yours! The best way to get a timeshare is to buy it "used". You will pay about 0.10-0.20 on the dollar.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Sorry Kev but I sold 1 that I bought 2 years later for $1200 more than I paid. :) Guess if you would be sucker enough to pay what they offer it to you for at first you would get taken :) I am a little sharper than that. When I found one that I wanted I made them an offer that was way lower than they were asking. :confused: What a concept :confused: I am more than satisfied with what I got for my money. :p

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
When I found one that I wanted I made them an offer that was way lower than they were asking. :confused: What a concept :confused: I am more than satisfied with what I got for my money. And I have taken vacations that you would not believe :p

I had timeshare many years ago that I really liked, so it does have its good points.

Mark, want to help me out on my next purchase - (I may need your input) :cool:

Top Bottom