Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
First of all... DirtWeek MX races are primarily held to give folks a chance to race MX that normally wouldn't do it. There is no purse, the plaques/trophies suck... it's all for grins. We don't want to lose sight of that.

See below. After the week of riding at Cooperland, you should have a good idea where you fit.

C Class:
If you've never raced, don't practice much (MX), C class is for you. If you don't spend much time on a MX track. The C class is for those that would not normally race MX. If you know you'll roll nearly everything, you are a C rider. If we see someone out there doing 100' tables in the C class, they'll be flagged-off. If you are not used to being bar-to-bar with 30 or so others, C class. If you have no idea what to do when the gate drops, :confused:

B class:
Pretty simple, if you race more than a couple times per year in real events, that puts you in the B class. If you've never actually raced but are really comfortable on the track; ie; you practice a lot, you are B class. If you were in the top 10 in the DW C class last year, you need to consider moving to the B class this year. If you were top 3 last year, you WILL move to the B class this year. If you are a fast Woods rider and aren't afraid of tabletops, B class. If you hit everything but the really big stuff, you are a B rider.

A class :
You are fast in your district, "A" rider, you race often. You are a fast practice rider and the thought of the pro riders closing fast doesn't bother you... , if you normally clear everything on the track. If you are void of pucker factor when looking at a 75 foot triple, you are an A rider.

The goal here is to have a good time with rider's of similar speed. We want riders of similar skill/speed on the track together. We do not want newer/slower riders on the track with someone who clears all the jumps... we want to reduce the closeure rate! Again, it's just about having a good time.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:thumb:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The Alabama series has a 'Hobby/Novice' class that forbids jumping the big stuff. Is that an option for the C class? It works here, but there are still some lowlife sandbaggers nearly every week. It still gives everyone nearly equal footing, and takes the fear factor out of the equation.

I'm a solid 'D' class rider, but I'll run B class cuz I've spent a lot of time at the track. I won't be jumping anything though.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I've never raced in my entire life. But, I feel pretty comfortable on tables, so "B" class it is. I aint skeered of going up, it's that oh so tricky coming back down thing that gets me every time!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by Okie
If you have no idea what to do when the gate drops, :confused:
[/B]

After puking, you cautiously procede, making sure that you're courteous to others who have decided to enjoy some spirited competition with you.

Question: If I'm stalled on the step-up (it will happen), and a comrade in fear is approaching behind me, who has the right of way? I think he should yield to me, so as to allow me to safely start my bike & negotiate the treacherous obstacle with greatest ease.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
can we have a "skeered of air" class? I love to jump, but you will rarely see me try anything like a double. I think it's more like being scared of wadding up on the landing that keeps me close to the ground.

Asa for the Dunlop MX, I qualify so count me in. We may have to do it during one of the open rides. Bike should be limited to 100cc for 2 smokes and 125cc for 4-pokes. Too many way-fast 125 riders in a group that size. The object would be to get a laugh at the fat guys trying to ride mini bikes for 3 laps.
Should throw in a sammich and gatorade break every lap as a must! :)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by Okie
We do not want riders that jump everything on the track with riders that roll almost everything.

Thanks! I dont want to be rolling down the backside of a jump and see a shadow passing by me. :scream:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hmmm - C class here I come. Of course I chickened out of even doing the bikes with lights class the last 2 years.

ZIO I'm not worried about the starting gate, it'll probably be down for quite some time before I even get to it. Gotta make that last second run to the porta potty for a quick puke and whiz session :)

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Sorry Okie. Am I ruining another good thread? I get a little excited sometimes, sort of like the dog, when you've been gone on vacation & she sees you & pees on the floor.

Are you gonna talk to me at DW? What's your name? Bob? I'll have to do some word association thingy so I don't forget. I'd hate to call you Bill, or Barry. Boy, I'd sure look dumb! Big Okie Bob. Nope, same problem. I could easily stumble & say Big Okie Bill. Maybe you can wear a hat with your name on it?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Hmmm - C class here I come.

Sweet! We can be like friends. You'll be all encouraging, saying things like "Hey man, you're a winner. You can do it". And I'll say "Thanks, man. You're a real friend". Then on the last lap, neither of us will want to beat the other so we'll cross the line hand in hand. Wow, Dirtweek is gonna be great!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Hmmm - C class here I come. Of course I chickened out of even doing the bikes with lights class the last 2 years.

Come on Eddie. Bikes with lights is a blast. I wanted to ride it two years ago, but had busted ribs. I finally got to ride it last year. I started next to Mikeb and Jeff Fredette.

Interesting things about Bikes w/lights class:
* Wear your Camelbak and use it during the race
* Wear your fanny pack in case you foul a plug during the race
* Dead Engine start...the gate drops in silence then everyone fires up and goes
* Only 4 riders start at a time
* Load the MX course layout into your roll chart holder
* Enduro computer counts down to the start of the race
* There's a 30 minute gas stop scheduled for half way through the 3rd lap
* Every bike's number has a letter in it too
* Yell out your number and letter at the scoring tower each lap
* You won't find out who won until 2 weeks after the event!!

:) :) :)

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
Well, let's see, I'm old, fat, slow, have never raced, my bike is old, heavy, slow(at least with me on it), and if both tire leave the ground at the same time,,, that's BIG air. What the hell, I'm in. :thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nope Stan there is a C and there is a bikes with lights which is everything from Jeff Fedette down the food chain. Just because you have a light doesn't mean you CAN'T do the C class but your bike has to have come STOCK with a light to do the bikes with candles race.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by zio
Sorry Okie. Am I ruining another good thread? I get a little excited sometimes, sort of like the dog, when you've been gone on vacation & she sees you & pees on the floor.

LOL Zio, I know I do that everytime I see Okie too! :worship:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I got skills but being 5'11 and 280 sure puts a hamper on my endurance. One of these days Im gonna get inshape. Until then I think I will just be happy with wining the race to the 1st corner.

I also think local riders who have ridden at Cooperland before should be bumped up a class at DirtWeek from their normal class. At DW2000 I ran 2nd in the C class for a while and the 1st place guy was a local, after the first turn I couldnt even see him anymore.. He checked out on the rest of us...... I think I finished Like 6th or something. All I rember was wanting to stop for something to drink and some pork rinds and another skinny guy would go buy.... I did my best........

I will be in the B class this go round............. I am already queezy....

Top Bottom