The Omnibus bill was just the beginning!!!

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
U.S. House Considering Bill Detrimental to OHV Riding

Protect 24 million acres from OHV restrictions

Take Action!

Contact your Representative to Oppose H.R. 980!

The Chairman of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on May 5 to consider H.R. 980, the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA). This legislation was introduced by Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY). It will designate 24 million acres as Wilderness and components of the National Wilderness Preservation System in Idaho , Montana , Oregon , Washington , and Wyoming . This Wilderness designation will make the land off-limits to off-highway riders.

With the Wilderness bill (Omnibus Public Land Management Act) recently signed into law, that prohibited off-highway vehicle (OHV) use on over 2 million acres, this Congress now feels emboldened to continue pressing for passage of even more Wilderness bills that would take away additional OHV trails enjoyed responsibly by your friends and family.

We need your help to stop H.R. 980 in its tracks. The fastest way to reach your Representative is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code on AmericanMotorcyclist.com, clicking on "Rights," then "Issues and Legislation." Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your Representative immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

To find a list of members serving on the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources, please click here.

We must remain vigilant. If this bill were signed into law, the effect on the OHV community would be devastating for generations. Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 980.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Wolf said:
U.S. House Considering Bill Detrimental to OHV Riding

Protect 24 million acres from OHV restrictions

We must remain vigilant. If this bill were signed into law, the effect on the OHV community would be devastating for generations. Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 980.

Thanks for posting this Wolf.

IMO, this is one of the most important threads on DRN right now and it gets only 24 views and O replies. :bang: No wonder we are losing all of our riding land. I am disgusted with my dirtriding brethren. :|

It is my understanding this new bill will lock up some of the most prime riding areas in Moab. Not to mention a huge area rich in minerals and oil. THIS IS THE REAL REASON TO LOCK UP THE LAND. It has nothing to do with the critters or the plants. It's all about minerals and oil and the ability of the government to take it away from the peoples control. What a better way to get everyone in those little pieces of crap electric cars than to lock up the oil fields.

Those of you that voted for change, I hope your freakin happy. :coocoo: This is just the beginning. :think:

You can all go back to arguing about two strokes verses four strokes now. That seems to be the subject that interests everybody. Four or five pages of responses to that thread. Of course, when all of the land has been taken away, it won't matter wether you have a two stroke or four stroke because there won't be anywhere to ride them.

I guess we really deserve what we are getting.

Thanks again Wolf for trying to wake these guys up. I don't think its workin though.

B

biglou

The date and a couple of the names have changed, but other than that, SH nails it:

http://www.superhunky.com/articles/deathvote2000.php

And from the "My Dinner With Super Hunky" Article: ( http://www.superhunky.com/articles/superhunky.php )

My Dinner With Super Hunky said:
Halton: You've been a vocal proponents of our right to ride on public land for quite some time, even going to federal court to defend that right. Did the two-stroke ban surprise you?

Sieman: Not at all. In fact, this is only the first step in tightening the screws toward the complete elimination of not only new two-stroke bikes, but all two-stroke bikes, no matter what the year.

You see, one of the agendas written in the 1972 platform of the Sierra Club is... "the elimination of all forms of motorized recreational vehicle activity of any sort on public lands."

I know for a fact that within three years, the Green Sticker plan will have an inclusionary rider added to take the cutoff year back to all motorcycles made after 1990. The tactics are clear, but our so-called industry leaders apparently can't see writing on the wall. Unless something is done, within a decade only emissions-legal four-strokes will be legal for use on public lands, and you can bet your ass that even these will be limited severely.

Doubt it? Take a look at what the outboard motor industry is facing. The cost of a typical small boat motor will increase $1,000 to $3,000 by next year.Snowmobiles are a target. Weedwhackers, lawn mowers, snowblowers... you name it. They're all firmly fixed in the gun sights and the trigger finger is tightening.

Halton: Is that why you moved to Mexico?

Sieman: It's sad to say this, but I moved to Baja to have some freedom. The United States has turned into a virtual nightmare of overregulation. Freedom as we used to know it has virtually disappeared.

Right now, in the small community where I live, I can open up my garage, fire up my KDX200, and go riding out in the hills, with absolutely no hassle. No helicopters are hovering in the sky to write me a ticket. No eco-police are closing land and putting up fences.

Only one rule exists here: Common sense. Don't bother anyone, and they don't bother you. If I'm riding off road and see some cattle or horses, I ease off the throttle and carefully ride around and don't disturb them.

In Mexico, they have a law that makes sense: all roads, paved or dirt, must be open for public use. If I come to a gated fence, I'm expected to close it after I pass through it. This means that you could hop on your dual-purpose bike, and quite literally explore the entire Baja peninsula with no problems, as long as you use your head.

When being accused of "destroying the environment" by riding my bike off-road, I must respond with a hearty, "Bullsh!t!" Think about this for a moment: In the great southwest, the wind blows hard many times during any given year. And when the wind blows, literally millions of tons of sand and dirt are tossed into the air and moved around in a random pattern. Dunes are destroyed and new dunes are created. Sand washes change shape. The character of the landscape alters dramatically almost overnight.

What person in their right mind would say that my bike passing over that same terrain will effect any measurable change? Don't listen to the gloom and doom eco-Nazis. They're just pissed because they see you having fun, and they're such stiff-backed, tight-assed, black-hearted mean spirited jerks that they want to put a stop to your joy. It might sound simplistic, but it all boils down to that.

Life is short. Enjoy it.

Ride! And ride free.

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
This is a worldwide problem, and unfortunately there is a worldwide apathy also. forestry in my local area is facing closure to all motorised vehicles due to lobbying on the part of the horseridng and nature walking sects. This current fad of "green green green" is borderline nazi-like in its oppressiveness and discrimination towards people who enjoy motorsports, people need to wake the hell up and get ready to fight for your rights.

The war isn't coming - its already here.

danny86

May 25, 2009
Ol'89r said:
Thanks for posting this Wolf.

IMO, this is one of the most important threads on DRN right now and it gets only 24 views and O replies. :bang: No wonder we are losing all of our riding land. I am disgusted with my dirtriding brethren. :|

It is my understanding this new bill will lock up some of the most prime riding areas in Moab. Not to mention a huge area rich in minerals and oil. THIS IS THE REAL REASON TO LOCK UP THE LAND. It has nothing to do with the critters or the plants. It's all about minerals and oil and the ability of the government to take it away from the peoples control. What a better way to get everyone in those little pieces of crap electric cars than to lock up the oil fields.

Those of you that voted for change, I hope your freakin happy. :coocoo: This is just the beginning. :think:

You can all go back to arguing about two strokes verses four strokes now. That seems to be the subject that interests everybody. Four or five pages of responses to that thread. Of course, when all of the land has been taken away, it won't matter wether you have a two stroke or four stroke because there won't be anywhere to ride them.

I guess we really deserve what we are getting.

Thanks again Wolf for trying to wake these guys up. I don't think its workin though.

Do you really think the minority has a say in this ? The calls/mails don't work. Its political networking, campaign contributions , etc.. Whoever writes the biggest check.

Violence is the only thing minority can do to change the mainstream. Just like in the 1700's when we took arms to change the Gov't.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
danny86 said:
Do you really think the minority has a say in this ? The calls/mails don't work.

Absolutely! :nod:

I've seen it. It only takes a small handful of concerned citizens to make change.

I've seen long established MX tracks shut down because of complaints from just ONE concerned citizen.

I've seen a very large and untouchable (in their own words) construction company stopped in their tracks and forced into bankruptcy because of the actions of just three concerned citizens. Proud to say I was one of those three citizens.

I've seen the governor of our own state completely change his mind on taxing people to death after witnessing a tea party (tax revolt) where over 3,000 concerned citizens rallied against higher taxes. I guess he didn't like seeing his head on a stick.

It only takes a small amount of organized people to stop the insanity we are witnessing today both in our sport and our government.

You're right about the letters and e-mails. Those are easily deleted and discarded but, a council room full of angry citizens does make a difference.

We can sit and bitch to each other on the internet or we can take the time to attend meetings and make a show of force. THIS is what gets their attention.

I truly fear for what is happening to our country right now. If we don't ALL become involved and stop the madness, you won't recognize this country or what it once stood for in 10 years.

Like I said, until we ALL become involved and take the time to search out and attend important meetings, we have nobody but ourselves to blame.

How many meetings have you attended?

Top Bottom