things to go through on bike that sat

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
alright, so my friend is gonna get a 86 kdx200. Tomorrow i'm gonna get it and bring it to my garage. The bike has a blown head gasket and has been sitting for two years. So I'm going to put the new head gasket kit on. Also i was gonna pull the carb off and clean it and dump out any gas that might be in the tank. Anything else i should do? O ya, probably change the crank case oil. I'm just tryin to get it to run, so i'm not worried about the rest of the bike for now. Anything else i should to to make this run?

Mar 9, 2004
Sounds like you have most of it, having just brought 2 bikes back to life (83 IT175 and 85 IT200), you should check your exhaust for stuff that crawled in while it sat(one of mine was full of water, rust and ???) and maybe repack the silencer. I also cleaned out the lower cylinder around the crank(nasty stuff down there). Make sure your magneto is clean and dry. Check the condition of the reeds, that's all I had to replace on the 200. Make sure everything has a little oil on it and that it kicks over smoothly. My 175's clutch was crusty and needed a good cleaning. With the heads off, might as well pull the jug and check/decarbonize the piston and inspect the rings.

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
Thanks. There shouldn't be any water or anything sitting since it's always been garaged. Nice to see someone else ridin the older IT's, I have a 79 IT 175, loved it 'til i seized the piston.

Mar 9, 2004
Is that all?

Unless you ran it really hot and dry you should be able to get it going again. These bikes were meant for abuse. Pull the piston out, polish it and the cylinder with some 400-600 sandpaper, see if the rings are messed up, check the bearings and put it back together. Old 2 strokes can run on amazingly abused parts due to their simplicity. Even if its really trashed, a bore job and some new parts will bring it back to life.

Let me know how it turns out. For $800 you can have mine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom