Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Hey all;

I have been kicking back and forth about buying a new bike, and the KTM keeps popping into the mix. Now that Fred has jumped ship from the cabbage patch along with all the encouragement he is getting in here I am once again getting the urge. I am currently on a 2001 kdx 220 and like the way it runs, but am discouraged with the long shopping list of upgrades I need to keep the thing competative. I race hare scrambles and all I hear about the KTM is it is ready to race out of the box? I am 200 lbs, will the suspension be ready to go?

Here is what I am considering - 250 exc 2 stroke 2002, or is there any reason I should wait for 2003

Also need some help with dealer locations in the Sacramento Ca area.
Thanks
Lew

P.S. - The wife currently is not oposed to the new bike thing, so I should act soon before she changes her mind. ;)

Last edited:

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
I would highly recommend the purchase. I just bought an '02 250 EXC coming from a 2000 KDX. What a difference. Much more power all across the board, outstanding handling, good brakes, roomy riding compartment, excellent suspension.

BTW I had all the usual goodies on the KDX such as FMF pipe and S/A, Race-Tech Gold Valves, heavier springs, etc. Still no comparison with the KTM.

I have not had the KTM past half-throttle since its still breaking in but WOW!! Talk about power.

I ride in Western Washington so the trails are fairly tight, although I haven't had the bike in really tight stuff yet. But so far no regrets. The bike is everything I had hoped for.

Good luck.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Lew,
I too have a 02' EXC 250, excellant woods machine for sure. Tight trails this thing is nimble, well balanced, and has low down grunt. Single trail straights your eye balls are pushed back in their sockets, whoops excellant suspension. I have tested the suspension on downed trees (dang pine beetles) as big as say 16 inch diameter, the EXC went over them without me going over the bars. You get the picture, you won't go wrong and the wife gave her approval, what a woman! :D

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Consider an 03 vs an 02. Bigger front forks, both suspension units front and rear have been improved. Cost difference if you can even find a left over 02 won't be much. I'm glad I DIDN'T find an 02 now that I've seen the differences. Just my $.02. Good luck.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Lew, jump in to the pumpkin patch!! You'll love it!

I switched from a WR400 to an '02 250EXC and am NOT looking back. The bike doesn't beat me up like the WR did, and I can usually ride faster. The motor is pretty forgiving. I've ridden a 200 and 300 before as well, and prefer the 250.

As far as "03 vs. '02, the list of changes look pretty good. If money's an issue, you can' t go wrong with an '02 if you can get a good deal (look on Ebay for a shop in Colorado selling a bunch of '02's).

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Thanks guys for all the replies. I have seen the shop in Colorado selling on ebay, not sure if there will be much savings by the time I pay shipping and what not. I will begin my quest however, don't know if I will end up with an 02 or 03. Sounds like I would most likely be happy with either. I will keep you posted.
Thanks again
Lew

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Lew,
Catch a ride on a GasGas too if you can. If you're in the neighborhood you can check out my 250. (it's sweet!). I'm 200 lbs & on the short side so it fits great. Awesome in every way. I'm curious to try a KTM 250 to see how one of those feels as well.

Good luck.

Top Bottom