thinking of buying a 1998 220

shoenber

Jun 25, 2003
I am thinking of buying a 1998 KDX220. I would need to travel 150mi to see the bike.
I would like to know what I should look for - what may be trouble spots for a 98?
I would be the 3rd owner.
The guy selling it says he did not use it much but the first owner used the bike for harescrambles. Would that mean that the bike is trashed internaly?
He says it runs like new etc.
What should I expect?

Thanks.

David

Simon Fuller

May 17, 2001
There is nothing special to check that I am aware of, just the usual maintenance items. Especially check the swing arm for play in the bushes, wheel bearings and sterring head.

The KDX will run for miles on the same piston and rings but a 98 should have had one new set of rings by now, especially if raced (saying that my 98 is still on the originals but about due for a change). Compression test is the best guide here.

Look at overall condition and how the owner has maintained the bike. Is the airfilter clean, whats the oil look like etc.

Hopefully it has at least got an aftermarket pipe on it and possibly the original too. If you haven't ridden b4 the std pipe is a good intro, but you'll be wanting the extra power soon.

Good luck:)

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
One trip people pull is to wamr the bike up before you get there. This hides any hard starting problems. you can simply feel the engine case before hand.
but overall, you'll just have to judge based on other bikes you have looked at.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom