Thinking of getting into bikes and out of ATV's

docdave22

Jul 3, 2003
Ok, I am a pretty experienced atv rider. I have a 02 raptor with piston, cam, full yoshi, etc. I ride trails and motocross.

At our motocross track there are very few atv riders and none that really "ride". I see the fun that the dirtbike guys have and I have been thinking about getting into it.

I am tall and skinny at 6' 140lbs.

I have never riden a dirt bike at all.

I would like to buy a bike that I could grow into, but also one that doesn't kill me off the get go. I would prefer a yamaha or a honda.

So my question is, 2 stroke or 4? I looked at a 250Cr and it seemed like way too big, but they didn't have a 125 that I could compare it to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Well the 125's are the same dementionaly for the most part by all the brands (I know the KX's are they have always shared a frame) since your used to that four stroke bottom end torque of your raptor, I would suggest a 250 four stroke It'll be doogy in comparison but easily adapted to and as your skill builds, it will too, cause they will rip on top if flogged enough. a 250 two stroke is the way to go if you think you can handle the on-off power surges that you may not be used to from my experience (little of.. not much of a sport quad guy some have no respect for thier rideing areas or their life ie. most do not wear helmets wear I ride) but the raptor has oodles of bottom but felt weak on top wear I ride my 2 stroke. So try out some bikes and see what power charateristics you want. What most quad riders do not realize is it is not the bike that makes the rider it is the Rider that makes the bike! Choose one that has the ergos that fit YOU not what a magazine or someone else tells you.

Top Bottom