divineaspex

Jun 3, 2007
Hello, I'm thinking about buying a used bike '96 cr250 from someone down the road. He says bike is in excellent condition, BUT the first gear doesnt work. He says the bike will start just as good in 2nd. Should I buy? Its kinda cheap at $750.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Just think that the bike is worth around $1800 in good running condition. $750 is quite a deal. You could make the bike better than new with the $1150 you save. They're may be nothing major wrong with it and you'll have it running good with all gears for maybe $200 on top. There could be something seriously wrong as well as other neglected maintenance and it could cost $500+ to bring it back to good running condition. Just don't expect to pay $750 and go hit the track/trails. You're going to have to sink some more money into it before you can ride it.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I just bought a 2002 CR250 for $1800.

I would say the average price for a '96 is closer to $1200.

I would be a bit cautious. It could very well run fine from 2nd-5th gear for the next few years. It could also very well blow up the whole transmission the next ride, can't really tell for sure unless you open it up and look.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I wouldn't describe a bike with a non-functional first gear as being in excellent condition.

Yes, you can start in second gear in many situations. There are times, however, when first gear will really come in handy. Think about it, if it wasn't necessary the manufacturer would have saved the cost of the extra gear!

What happens when you try to shift to first? Does it just not shift? Does it find neutral instead? (I absolutely hate it when my bike mis-shifts into neutral when I down shift climbing a hill, almost guarantees I don't make it). Does the transmission lock up?

If something is just messed up (bent) in the shift mechanism then it would probably be okay to continue to ride it. On the other hand, if the problem with first gear is that something has broken then there could be loose pieces rattling around in the transmission which could jar loose and end up in a really bad spot, causing even more damage.

If you approach it from the perspective that you are going to immediatly tear it down and fix the transmission then I would say it would be an okay deal. You would certainly learn a lot and would end up with a great bike with a fresh bottom end at good price.

If you don't plan on fixing it yourself then I would not recommend it.

Rod

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
I got my 96 KX250 for $1500 about a year and a half ago and it was in great shape, I've put another $800 in it and it's just as good as it was just rolled of the showroom floor, well it was a few crashes ago :|

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
Man, two strokes in this part of Ohio are WAAAY lower than what you guys are describing. I bought my '01 when it was 4 years old, for 2k. It had hardly been ridden, and it was on the high side for local prices. I need to start a 2 stroke export business.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Once again, americans sell their bikes for rediculously low prices. How you someone afford to buy an 8k bike off the showroom floor and then a couple years later turn and sell it with mods for about 3k. That makes no sense to me. A 96 CR250 in good shape here is worth 2500 easy.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I bought a 2002 rm 250 last year for 1600, it had an Eric Gorr 265 kit, Bills pipe, v-force reeds and a new bottom end. I have no idea how someone can afford to take a loss like that, but I'm glad they did!

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
It could be the part of the shifter assembly thats on the outside of the left side case. It could be a broken shift drum. Ask the guy if he power shifted.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
_JOE_ said:
I bought a 2002 rm 250 last year for 1600, it had an Eric Gorr 265 kit, Bills pipe, v-force reeds and a new bottom end. I have no idea how someone can afford to take a loss like that, but I'm glad they did!

MAN I want your bike!! Nice find!! :cool:

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Personally I base my price on e*** "completed" auctionzx.

These are usually lower, but I wouldn't pay more than 10-20% above those prices.

Top Bottom