LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Cool little trail bike. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Hopefully they will price it like they did the CBR250R streetbike. If they do it could have a DT1 type influence on a whole new group of riders.

Eric Gorr is working on a big bore kit and EFI upgrade for track day riders based on the CBR250R roadbike and this "appears" to be the same basic package, so more power should be easy enough to come by, and getting some weight off of it shouldn't be too tough. I'll bet I could build a thinwall stainless megaphone pipe that pulls some extra power and drops 15 pounds (there is a cat-con in the stocker) easily.

After riding my CRF150R with Bridgestone BT45 street tires on it and being AMAZED by how good they work, I'll wager that Motarding it is just a front brake upgrade and a tire swap away from reality.

I'll be watching this one VERY closely. Honda may actually force me to buy another bike. :bang:

Last edited:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
I had a ady on a wr 250r yamaha and found it to be lots of fun. I found it good on easy terrain butlacking in grunt but not speed, on gravel roads you could ride it like a play station game. I guess this will be similar but slightly better as the wrr has been available for about 3 years over here

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
_JOE_ said:
The DOHC 250 is based on the CBR250 motor I believe.

I believe you are right I had never looked at the cbr 250 engine. It may be more suited to sustained high rpm than the uni engine.

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Nice......I've been thinking about bikes like this ......I was going to post about something I'd call 3/4 bikes -- dual sport bikes that had reasonable suspension but max at about 9 to 10" of travel, a reasonably peppy motor and a seat height for older humans.

Bikes like the 230 (etc) fit the bill as far as size goes, but fall short in engine and suspension performance.

While I do appreciate the KTM dual sports, they have a tall seat height (I don't want to tippy toe at stop lights) and a tall price tag.

Maybe this is the dual sport people are really looking for (although it appears to be a little on the low end of the performance scale). Whatever .... as long as it's fun :nod:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Wait a minute 143 kgs = 315 lbs. Yikes :yikes: ........I hope that is with a full tank. Looks more like a supermoto anyway.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
As Rich pointed out, the exhaust system is bound to be overweight with a cat in there.

Still, I hope that 143 kg/315 lbs figure is a misprint. If it is close to that weight, my interest is greatly diminished.

I understand they are not using exotic materials in an effort to keep cost down, but 315 lbs just seems too heavy.

Trimming 15 - 20 lbs from a street legal mini thumper is one thing, but dropping 50 - 60 lbs? That would take some doing.

At 315 lbs, that's more than an XR650R with a Baja kit on it, and probably not far off of an XR650L with estart. Too heavy for what I want to do.

Realistically, if it rolls off the showroom at 280 and can easily be brought down to 260 lbs ready for trail use and full of gas, that would acceptable. If the motor, handling and suspension work great on the trail.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Right, my DRZ400 weighs about that. It makes quite a bit of power (after some mods) but still feels like a pig off road. Seat height is pretty crazy too. I get tip toe on one foot at lights, lol.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Joe - is yours an 'S' model with e-start? I know the original dirt models without e-start were quite a bit lighter.

FWIW, one of my buddies has an '06 WR450 Yamaha. That thing is way too heavy for my tastes, and Yamaha claims it weighs 249.1 lbs (I'm sure they are lying on that one, though).

Top Bottom