This might be the one.. :)

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Went to the local dealership looking for a bike and I saw a 2003 CR125.. Asking price slashed down to $4499 from $5099..

I was planning on getting a WR250F but the dealership couldn't make give me a good deal on it..

Is this a good deal? They had a sign that said $4499 and I can get an out of state addy so it will be out the door... Should I even try to get it lower?

My other concern was if the CR125 would keep me happy, but after talking with the guys ont he KDX forum it looks like I will be really happy with an MX bike.. All I will need to do is adjust a few things to make it a little more trail friendly for the times that I do go on the trails.. :)

Some information about myself.. Im 23, I weigh a hefty 195lbs and Im 6'1" tall.. I haven't rode since I was around 13 years old so its been awhile..

Type of riding.. Im going to be doing a combination of trail riding and MX riding.. I prefer MX style riding but the trails are closer to my house so I will ride the trails whenever I have the chance..

My main concern is that I get a bike that has a good enough suspension so Im happy on the track (which the CR has).. The last dealership I went to told me to stay away from the MX bikes because they require lots of maintenance.. How much maintenance are we talking about here? I won't be doing any racing.. I just want to have some fun on the trails and MX course..

Thanks for the help..

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
Man when you guys down in the states talk about prices it just makes me smile to know that I paid $5,600.00 for my 2003 CR 250 R O did I mention that was Canadian, and strait from the factory!!! Thank god my dealer had to sell one more bike to meet there quota and I bought in Late September.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Me...

Dude I am exactly the same size as you and I definitely would recommend a 250 MXer over a 125. The 125 is nice but you'll have to be on the pipe a lot to hang with bigger bikes or smaller guys on 125's (of course if you're fast your fast on anything!).

I have a CR250 and though it took me a while to get used to the power it now feels very very comfortable. It all really depends on what you want. The 250's have much more bottom than most 125's and are easier to ride without being on the pipe so much but of course it isn't quite as nimble as a 125 either.

My 91 CR250 is VERY dependable! I've had a little problem cleaning the air cleaner correctly but it NEVER breaks down!

My vote goes to a 250 or even the KDX 200 or 220 but you're a big guy for a 125.

Feb 28, 2004
I agree. You are a pretty big guy and I think you would be more at home on a 250. Its really up to you though. My brothers good friend races dirtbikes. He races the 125 class, and he owns a 125 and a 250. He says he rides a 250 so he can get used to all that power, so when he gets on the 125, he can pretty much throw it around. It helps him be a better rider on the 125. Im just saying, its all up to you really. Its alot easier to become used to the power of a 125 than a 250 for sure. So its either you wanna get used to the power of a 125 and use it to your advantage, so you can ride it to its limits or get a 250 and kind of grow into it, and possibly never be able to ride it to its limits. I went with a 250 for many reasons. If I would have gotten a 125, I would have always wondered what a 250 would have been like. My good buddy had a brand new CR125 in 2000, he kept it a few months, got bored of the power and traded it in for a brand new 2001 CR250. Here we are a few years later and the 250 still keeps him on his toes, he says a 250 is what he shoulda bought to begin with. Good luck with whatever you decide! :thumb: Mike :)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
It's not even debatable. A CR125 wouldn't be the right trailbike for an 120 pounder, let alone you. In 03, I think the CR had the weakest of motors. So consider that you'll have NO power unless you're on the pipe. Works great for a GP course, but for trails there couldn't be a worse bike. Plus, you'll be bored with it in 6 months. Your first choice was right on. You won't find 'deals' on them, though.

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Thanks for the advice guys..

Well, it seems like everyone thinks its going to be too slow for someone my size.. I wasn't even considering a 250 since this will be a learner bike.. I don't want or need something too fast which is why I wasn't even bothering to ask about the power.. Im just worried about the suspension setup on the track.. My friend says his 125 keeps him happy (power wise) and he is the same build as I am and does the same riding that I plan on doing which is why Im not too worried about the power.. Id rather not get a bike with so much power that I have to be careful about giving it too much gas.. I also feel like Id be more comfortable on a slightly slower bike while learning.. I posted on the KDX forum and they all think a KDX isn't a good idea considering I want to go on the track (the stock suspension isn't great for the track)..

Keep in mind Im going to be learning on the bike, I won't be doing any racing and just want to have some fun.. Im not worried about being the fastest guy in the group, I just want to learn and feel comfortable on the bike.. And of course I really want a suspension that will keep me happy on the track.. Im sure as I learn how to ride I will get more use to the power and eventually outgrow it like you all said but for the time being Id prefer something with a little less power .. Why? Well, when I rode 10 years ago I had a little XR100... The only other bike I ever rode was my friends YZ80 which had a bunch of work done.. Needless to say I was happy with the power of my bike and then one day got on my friends bike which scared the hell out of me.. To be honest, I don't want to get a bike to learn on that scares the hell out of me like that YZ80 did.. :)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
$4500 for a 03 cr125 is way high IMO, id offer them $4000 otd.. FWIW, i bought my 01 kx250 in Nov of 2001, i got it for $4700 otd w/$300 worth of accesories.. I'd look for a better deal..
Either way, when you get your new bike, keep us posted on how your riding goes :thumb:
Rick

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Buy a 250.... i would reccommend a year or 2 old 250 it can be ridden way easier slow than a 125....every1 told me that if you give a 250 too much throttle that it would lift onto the back wheel......dosent happen to me! I am a beginner! When you will stall and stall a 125 you wont on a 250, when you are tired you can lug a 250....not a 125!

Buy a 250 for say $2600 well maintained add a flywheel weight $99.....you will crash buy some good bodyarmour,boots,gloves,helmet, goggles etc, buy a trailer. Buy spares good tooles etc!! For the 4k+ you intend to spend on a new bike that you as you say have no intent on racing is nuts....you can get a great 1-2 year old bike...crash it and fix it..have spares tools all the equiptment and have a laugh.... Next year if you buy new you will at the least loose 1k, buy a year old and sell the next year youll loose perhaps nothing!
I am scared to ride an 80cc there nuts!!!
A 125 has a huge hit they are hard to learn the basics on(My opinion)
A 250 is a lazy bike if you want it to be...it does not hit as hard as a125..does not stall as easy...easier to maintain and cheeper in the longrun on parts! A suzuki rm125 was my 1st bike...did not like it..sold it in 1month and bought a 1994-5 Honda cr250 and find that way easier to ride! Ther is not much of a difference in speed between a 125 and a 250, a 125 for me just has shorter gears and the power hits harder! Good Luck!!

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Im not very good at this negotiating thing.. I went back to the dealership to talk to the guy about financing and to see if I could get approved .. Turns out I WILL have to pay taxes, and OTD its going to come to $5100 after taxes, freight, interest, and bank fees (lol.. thats funny).. Thats no better then the $5000 OTD price I got for the 2002 Yamaha WR250F.. :( I went onto www.generationMX.com and they have 2004 125s for 4500 + about $200 for shipping.. So a total of $4700 I could get a newer bike .. www.motorcycle-brokers.com have a bunch of 2003 250s for $4600 shipped but I really don't want that fast a bike, especially when my friend with the 125 says the 125 will be more then enough for me..

Anyone deal with generationmx.com? I tried searching but there much isn't coming up.. Ill try posting on the general forum..

Sorry if I sound like Im a headless chicken.. When it comes to spending this much money I tend to look at every option I have and often look into it a little further then I probably need to.. I was really set on that WR250F but for $5000OTD it just seems like a rip off..

Any advice for bike buyers? lol.. I need a buying a dirtbike for dummy books anyone got one? :clue: :clue:

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
I wouldn't...

Dude listen to some of these experienced folks in her. You could spend half of what they're talking about on a bike 1 to 3 years older in EXCELLENT shape! Unless you don't have that much cash available and you must finance it, it's simply not necessary.

As far as the bike selection goes a 125 may be perfeect for you. To me a 250 has a huge hit that is much more powerful than a 125 and definitely is something to consider.

Either way try not to be impulsive and give someone 5K for a 125.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Really dont buy new...if you crash you will hurt your wallet more...i you dont like the sport you have wasted serious $$$, new bikes loose a huge resale value as they go out the door! Why buy new??

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
My main reason for not wanting to buy used is because I don't want to get stuck with someone elses problems.. If I have to pay a few extra bucks to assure me that I will not have to do that I have no problems doing that.. Ive dealt with problems on my car and don't want to deal with that on a bike.. As for bikes in excellent condition, I really have no idea what to look for if I even wanted to consider a used bike.. It'll give me a whole lot more piece of mind going new.. Im going to finance the bike

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Buy off the dealer used...youll prob get a 50-50 or full 3month warrenty. A dealer will not sell you crap used as they will want you as a customer, i think you need to ride your friends 125 and then a 250

Feb 28, 2004
I agree with blanc. Try to get to ride your friends 125. Then somehow try to get to ride a newer 250, then go buy the 250. :laugh: No, seriously, if you ride your friends 125 and feel comfortable on it, then buy the 125, but if I were you, Id seriously try to ride both sizes and then make my decision. Good luck. Mike :)

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I would personally if i could start again buy a used 250...and i think that you could buy it on finance also off a good dealer

MayhemInNY

Feb 18, 2004
Thanks guys... I really appreciate all your advice and comments... Buying used from a dealership doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially if they have some sort of warranty.. Well, I ended up going back to the Honda dealership to see about that CR125... Turns out they won't budge on taxes even though my license is out of state.. $5000 out the door after financing, taxes, frieght, bank fees, and some processing fees so I walked out after being told hed only be making $100 on the bike :think: .. No way Im paying 5k on a year old 125..

I did however find a dealership with a bunch of 1-2 year old bikes.. Its about 2hours from my house so Im going to have to wait till later in the week to check them out but I think Ill find something there.. They have 3 2003 YZ125s for $3500, a 2003 RM125 for $4000, a 2002 CR125 for $3500, a 2002 CR250 for $4k, an RM250 for $4k.. And a ton other stuff.. here is their inventory.. http://www.getamotorcycle.com/deale...age=1&biketype=all&neworused=used&unittype=DB

Anything look good?

Whats the deal with the YZs, do they not hold value as well as the other brands? Im going to try and get a ride on my friends bike before I head up to this place, but after reading all your posts I will definitely keep my mind open to a 250.. My goal is to keep everything under $5k with equipment.. If I can get a bike for 4k OTD Ill have enough spare change for parts, and equipment.. I won't need a trailer because Ive got a pickup that Im going to use for transport so I get to save money there.. Thanks again for all the help.. I am definitely interested to hear what you all think of the bikes at that dealership..

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I bought a used 125 a year back and am about your size but have about 20+ years on you. I last raced a YZ400 2 stroke in 1981. Through riding and diet I trimmed down from 215 to 188lbs over the course of a year. I'll probably get a 250 2 stroke in '05, but no way should you get a 2stroke 250 for a first bike. Things happen a lot faster on a 250 than a 125 and you need to learn to ride and control the throttle (and have fun!). A 250 four stroke is a good choice for you also.

I have a YZ, they are good reliable bikes. A bike in good shape is easily worth hundreds more than the same model in bad shape.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
There are lots of bikes there to suit your needs...if going trail riding only the honda xr250 would be great and easy to look after and since its an old school 4stroke its power is similar to a 125 motox, just easier to handle.
I personally would buy the 1998 Kawasaki kx250, hes asking 2999, which is too much, but it looks as good as new, buy it for 2700 then add the heaviest Flywheel available,

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
Good thinking blanc, then when you feel comfortable take the fww off and have some serious fun. I vote for the 250 two stroke. I rode both a 125 and a 250 two stroke. I like the light responsive feel of the 125 but didnt like having no low end. Then I got on a 250 I was like wowwww. Just hit the throttle and wheelie. You have to be more carefule but its good!

jeddclampette

Feb 23, 2004
MayhemInNY said:
If I can get a bike for 4k OTD Ill have enough spare change for parts, and equipment.. I am definitely interested to hear what you all think of the bikes at that dealership..

If you require FINANCING in order to get the desired bike, you will NEVER get a decent deal.

ANy dealer that will finance you a $4K OTD USED bike is going to hit you with 18%-28% interest rates, because a USED bike is not a good collateral in case of default on a loan. you can get 4%-7% financing on a new bike because they can find a supply of buyers in case of default.

So what I'm saying here is - if you must finance, you really owe it to yourself to consider a NEW bike instead. Monthly payments are not that much more between new/used, and you will receive numerous benefits, including a lower interest rate.

Yes, you will get hit with depreciation, but if you don't know squat about buying a used bike, you will easily absorb any savings in depreciation on someone else's problems. And an MX bike, by definition, is rarely an EASILY RIDDEN bike, despite what a buyer will say and what's written in the ads. I can't tell you how many times I've answered an ad that has "PERFECT" , "EXCELLENT" and when I see it up close, it's DOGGED out.

I'm sure good used deals are out there, but I doubt it when it comes to MX bikes. THere are good deals all day long for a Yamaha PW50, or a JR50. But CR/YZ/RM 250's are getting slammed every time its ridden, the motors are revved to the moon constantly, and after every ride it has probably been pressure washed where all of the residual dirt is lodged in between every bearing and bushing on the suspension links.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Seems like i have seen that before, experienced from that before and learnt from the experience.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…