This should work.....SNAP! Uh oh....stupid me.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Well, in my plight to be a cheap and impatient mechanic I broke my cluthwheel while attempting to remove my cluth assembly.

I made up an aluminum jig that bolted to 2 posts of the cluthwheel and rested against the waterpump. This stopped the rotation of the basket so I could unbolt the clutch from the crank. Apparently, this was not the best route I could have taken since the moment I applied sufficient force to remove the nut, SNAP! Off came one of the post from the cluthwheel.

My question for you guys is, when I replace the cluth with an aftermarket cluth, such as Hinson, will it come with the cluthwheel that I broke? This part is not pictured in any catalogs, but since all clutches are different for differnet bikes, I am not sure if that if it comes with my bike or not.

The part that I broke can be seen here at the Kawi web site. It is part #13086-1069.

http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?strContentURL=site/VIVehicleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

Do I need to buy this from Kawi, or does it come with an aftermarket clutch assembly. Thanks in advance gents.

Brad

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Bad idea. Those posts are not very strong. Someone with a Hinson will have to say for sure, but I think Hinson only supplies the basket - and even then you have to drill out the rivets on your old one to reclaim the gear for reuse with the Hinson. I think you are SOL. Check first with Fredette for used one and hope you get lucky, then bite the bullet and order one from Kawasaki. When it comes time to try the hub nut again, try this instead:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/flywheel.html

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Oh man - i feel for you!   :(

I have a Hinson Clutch Basket and reused all of the other parts.  if you purchase an after martket clutch basket you get just that - the clutch basket - Not the part you broke.  I do remember seeing that Hinson sells the "clutch inners" but you would have to do some checking around.  I bought mine from Fredette and he would be the man to call to give you some answers.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Did you break one of the fingers on the "basket" that is riveted to the gear that mates with the primary gear on the crankshaft? The fingers on this "basket" mate with the tabs on the friciton plates of the clutch. Or did you break one of the posts (from the hub) that a clutch spring fits around?

If you broke a finger on the outer "basket", you may be able to temporarily run if you only broke one. If others are cracked, I wouldn't even try. If a post on the hub broke, you may be able to run it for a while. The uneven spring tension on the hub may make other things wear and wear chips can chew up bearings. This is not necessarily a recommendation, just a question to be asked.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom