Votes: 139 8.4%
  • More than $7500

Votes: 376 22.6%

• Total voters

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
As I was lying there unable to sleep, I started thinking about how much I've spent on the sport and thought it would be interesting to see a poll.

So what has your family, or you, spent to ride your dirtbike over the last 12 months? Think of all the costs, new bike? Fuel, gear, fees, parts, etc., etc. Aren't you curious to see what the average is?

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I think most of us spend alot more then we realize. Bought a new bike this past year so the cost will drop for the next 12 months.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Bought a new KTM so that put me at the top.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
I've spent a least 5K and didn't buy a bike. The look on my wife's face is usually :think:

:confused:

B

biglou

Bikes, trinkets, unnecessary add-ons, pants, jerseys, boots, helmet, gear bag, wheels, tires, hubs, spokes, grips, fuel, oil, premix, plugs, tools, graphics and stickers, Asterisks, levers, travel costs, food, lodging... Yeah, I'm in the upper tax bracket here fer shur.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by BigLou
I'm in the upper tax bracket here fer shur.
Dang Lou...you have me thinking there may be a tax write off possibility. :)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Both bikes were bought over a year ago, all the gear is more than a year old, except my son's boots and helmet. He grew. And last summer we didn't get out as much as the year before, just got busy with other things. So I checked $500, but it was more like $300. But the year before with his new bike and making it out every weekend, over $4000. And the year before that, I bought my bike and pretty much all new gear for him and me, close to $5000. Doh!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i checked $5000. that is probably about a year's cost of riding and racing. my bikes are always financed so i don't have that large lump sum to add. i pay cash for my kid's bikes but they are still on small bikes. i estimate that we ride 30-35 times a year at about $100 per ride (mostly racing). i use my gear for 3-4 years so i don't have alot of expense there and i don't generally spend alot on my bike as i ride a honda and it is not necessary. the majority of my expenses are race fees and traveling related costs. i ride as much as i can afford to and sometimes a little more. if i had the money, i would ride 2-3 times a week.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Don't forget about DW preparation, magazine subscriptions, going to MX/SX rounds near you, bike shows.... I am off the chart with the purchase of my 426 in June and the RV rental in October...

Should be better this year though.... :D and I wondered the same thing so I put a new catagory in Quicken to track that expense.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I can't really put a number, cause I didn't keep track. I figure between goodies, parts, oils, gas and DW I only spent around $1000 last year.

This year I am already over a thousand and I haven't even started buying gear yet. :eek:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
4 of us riding, average at least one new bike a year, no question about it and the price isn't going to go down for years.

Oh, quit asking questions like this in front of Robin. :eek:

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
A year ago at this time my dirt bike "assets" consisted of nothing more than a stack of recently purchased dirt bike magazines. I was completely out of the sport for almost 20 years.

Fast forward to today: 3 bike purchases, 6x12 enclosed trailer, all new riding gear for 2 riders, hop-up parts, and 1 major hospital bill!

All in all though there's no better investment for my son and I. The memories and experiences will pay dividends for a lifetime!

:thumb:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Here's our big line items:

2 new bikes [$11k]
80+ race/gate fees [$3k]
paid off trailer [$3k]
fuel to-from 50+ races/rides [$3k]
parts (bars, chains, sprockets, plastics, tall seat, exhaust, top ends, perches, clutches, oil filters, etc.) [$3k]
gear/helmets/cps/boots [$2k]

And if you allocate a portion of the PSD payment to that... jack it up even more... no one ever said it was a cheap sport.

Thank God we didn't have to add hospital bills into the mix in the past year... ambulance trips, cat scans, and x-rays are pretty pricey... so is missing a few months of work due to injury :|

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I try to save $5000 a year for racing alone (I don't always make the savings mark but I do spend that at least). Add the new CR450F and I'm way up there.

This is getting too damn expensive.

Ivan

B

biglou

I look at it like this-You have to have a hobby. Gotta do something. I'll spend it here, or spend it elswhere. I can't put a price on my happiness. It's all more than worth it to me. :thumb:

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
Well, I bought a bike this year, plus maybe 500 in parts/gas for my old bike... so I'm to about $3000 last year. For a high school student with a part time job, it makes a major dent! Then add in the truck I just bought to haul it for about $2k, and insurance... what am I thinking? My mom says, "Why don't you sell your bike to pay for college?" I just start laughing... that's one of the big reasons I'm going to college in Texas (lots of tracks and riding areas)!

Andy
98 KX250

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I klicked $2500.00 since I did not get a new bike this year & I have not been riding all that much. Right after I voted I remembered that little Best in the Desert thing I did last year 8 races with $250.00 being the average reg fee for 7 of thos & $750.00 for the 1000. $125 per race on fuel. Fuel for the support trucks.

Can I change my vote?
Can you add a tab for "$Ludicrous ?

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Darn; I never thought about it in terms of what I spent :scream: I am just real good at justifing it to my wife at the moment :thumb: .
3 bikes last year, continual rotation of saftey gear, misc. tires, tubes, levers, chains, sprockets, race fees, travel, etc., etc. Couldn't be more worth it :thumb: :yeehaw:

Oh, and this year I already dropped 20k on a new toy hauler trailer :ugg:
Lew

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
In the past twelve months I've probably spent in the range of $400. No new bike, but there was the clutch, T2's, tires, etc. That number will skyrocket in a few months with my new bike hauler!

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
I've taken the budget route and have probably checked in right at about $2500:

bike: $1400
gear: $400
2 x 12 ramp: $12
fuel: $5 x 20 outings = $100
maintenance parts : $300
misc expenses: couple hundred bucks

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I didn't get to ride much last year but I made it to DW and commute my DRZ with and occasional off-road jaunt. Put some of that $1000 I used toward my sons bike upgrades.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Over all the last two years I'd most likely hit the $10,000, in bikes and gear. Then anther $2500 for trips &amp; fuel. Last year was fairly cheap with just one bike up grade. For josh, a used $1500 XR280 and trips &amp; fuel pushes it to $2500.

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
okie, please dont stay up late again!

i was thinking the same thing myself a while back. I keep all reciepts in a folder, i was gonna add up how much i spent since i started up riding again last spring. Then i realized i shouldnt and stuffed the folder in the bottom of a drawer, i think i am better off not knowing but i am sure once the bike is paid for it must be 7.5K+ some...yikes!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't like this poll. :(

Why can't dirtbikin' be a federally funded program so we can get all this crap for free (or at least with all that damn tax money we already spend!)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…