Time to move up

hurricanefan

Nov 6, 2003
Well my 9 year old is ready to move up to a bike he can race. Right now he's riding a XR-70 and been riding that since Christmas and really is doing well. As you know you can't do much on that bike as far as MX. I figure we would go to a 2- stroke 65cc, but what brand? Is it 6 one way and half dozen the other between the Suzuki,KTM and Kawasaki?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The Suzuki is a Kawasaki KX65 with Yellow plastic so your basically down to 2 choices. Around here the KTM's seem to be run by pretty much all of the top 65 riders. I don't know if that's coincidence or not.

Last edited:

racer 187x

Feb 23, 2004
My brother used to race the KTM and won 3 consecutive MRAN series races over his friend who also had the KTM (and the rest of the field which also had the KTM's!) I would go with KTM.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
The SX has more bottom end and overall power than the KX. The KX/Rm is a little cheaper on replacment parts and costs new quite a bit less than the SX. The SX has better stock suspension than the KX/RM. but Tomac won Loretta's on the RM. Out here the KX/RM's dominate the class simply because you can get them so cheap and our KTM dealer won't deal a bit and tacks on extra's. When you can nab a KX for $2550 OTD its hard to pass up.
And if you want to wait until August the 2005 Cobra DC65 will be out. Dyno tests have already shown more bottom end than the KX, less than the KTM but WAY more top end than both. New ergo's and look with the same killer Ohlins suspension...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…