Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
The manual says the timing is set at 21 degrees BTDC, is this the middle mark on the stator?(or whatever it is...)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Generally.

I haven't looked at 38 kdxs to know how much they vary from one to the other.

Mine was on the middle mark. My riding buddy's '00 kdx was on the middle mark.

While setting ignition timing with a points system and a number (either mm of piston travel or º of rotation) is simple enough, I have no idea how you set it with a magnetically triggered (stator/rotor) engine as the kdx.

Well...you could use a timing tape and an inductive timing light.

...or you could just set it to the middle mark...... ;)

And the mark is on the stator ring.

You're clear on which direction of movement does what?

CW=advanceº
CCW=retardº

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
I had mine set to the middle mark.
As a general statement 2 strokes like to have slight retard.
Moved mine between middle and retard line and have noticed an increase in top end .It just wants to keep reving.Yes I did lose slight botom end but I'd rather have the top.Also my bike had a problem with overheating up long step 1st,2nd gear hills.Now this has gone with the slight retard position.I am happy now.
I suppose timing is like jetting in some way play around until you get it right and what suits your ridding.
But note I would not advanace past the middle mark as this may stick a piston very quickly.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep.

EG has a (had a?) technote on his website concerning advance/retard. His recommendation for max change is low..expressed in amount of movement, not º.

I'm leaving the actual number out to make YOU go find it...and read the whole thing, hopefully.

I don't run my bike on the middle mark, either. Spent most of an afternoon moving it here there, back and forth to get it where I wanted it.

A lot of flywheel pullin'.........

ha! I've got allen head screws on the rotor ring for the same reason they work good in the carb fuel bowl. Multiple removes makes the oem phillips heads a pain!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom