CR125Girl

Aug 18, 2003
Hi all! I just started riding (usually at Croom in FL). I have been told the basics...ride fast and sit back. I am still a bit scared to go too fast unless I am going straight on a flatwaway. But, I have been riding at Croom (in FL) and there are lots of whoops. Can anyone give me some tips on how to ride the whoops? Thanks!

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
oooo I hate whoops!! it really depends on the whoops on how you ride them. Some of them, yeah you lean back and go fast, other times you might jump them ie two at a time and I have seen some people take them one at a time.

But I am interested to hear what other people think of them too cause to me, whoops have always been hard and I just get over them without any real technique, they slow me down heaps

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
The simple rule for me is that the better your suspension is the faster you can hit the whoops. An under-suspended bike can kill you in whoops! Many years ago I had a stock KDX 200 that would swap like crazy through the whoops. I replaced that bike with an RMX 250 and did not change my riding style at all, however the better suspension made it easier for me to go through the whoops faster and straighter. Various bikes I've owned since then all have unique characteristics in the whoops, but the stiffer the suspension the better int that kind of riding. If you are going to be doing a lot of this kind of riding it's money well spent to change the springs and/or valving (stiffer) to allow you to attack whoops harder with confidence. Besides suspension mods, concentrate on entering the whoops as straight as possible and jump into them as far as you are comfortable with. I think it's probable better to hit whoops in a higher gear than a lower gear. If I'm in too low of a gear I have a tendency to launch the front end up too high and end up single-jumping where I should be double-jumping. Staying in a higher gear tends to keep the bike a little more neutral. Of course if you get into too high of a gear you loose some of the power needed to keep you on a plane. It's a heck of a balancing act!

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Find a speed you're comfortable with, keep your weight back and use your arms and legs as shock absorbers, be in a relatively high gear (where you still have power but have less risk of the throttle overreacting to a bump), and look way ahead. If you're staring at the bump right ahead of you - that's where you'll get stuck/thrown/whatever. It's just like "don't stare at the tree or rock you're trying to avoid." Look where you want to go (like the exit point out of the whoops) and it's suprising how much they smooth out.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Whoops are just like sex and skiing....

First, you got to think you're good at it. Then, it's practice, practice, practice... :confused:

Watch other riders.... ask for a "compentent" rider to watch you and suggest some tips. Avoid asking a "pro"... they attach them in a much different manner and speed. Not really appropriate to learning how.

And be patient. You'll go up and down and roll a lot of them before it clicks.
Stay loose, always have positive throttle, and keep your vision long (don't stare at the foot of dirt in front of you bike).

Oh yeah, and "think" you're good at 'em.... <grin>

Cheers! - Randyb

Top Bottom