Tips for buying a used KDX200/220

crustydirt

Oct 9, 2002
I'm looking to get either a new or used KDX200/220 this winter. A local stealer has a new non-current '01 KDX200 for $3,400 which I'm considering. I also have a few leads on some used bikes as well.

Are there any things I should be looking at specific to these bikes. Things that might need repair or replacement (rubber, compresion, fork seals, fluids, etc). Wear issues that might indicate hard use. Things like that.

Thanks in advance,

dan

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you're not familiar with dirtbikes in general, try to get someone to go with you when you look at one 'new-to-you'.

Better'n even bet that ANY dirtbike has had a hard life. Count on it.

1. Make sure it starts......for starters (sometimes I kill myself....;) )

Try to do that start cold. Put a hand on the motor when you get there to make sure it's not already warm. Maybe the guy just spent 1/2 an hour messing with it?

2. Suspension

Make sure both forks and shock at least have hydraulic action.
With the bike on a stand, Try to move the swingarm sideways. You should notice NO movement. Lightly touch the rear wheel to the ground. levering it on the kickstand. There should be NO movement that doesn't actuate the shock....no 'ticking' noise.

3. Bearings in general.
When on a center stand, try to move the rear wheel side to side. You should feel NO movement in the wheel bearings. Move the handlebars from lock to lock. Bad stem bearings aren't real evident with the wheel/forks..pay close attention to ANY center detent or 'snicking' feel. That's likely a bad bottom stem bearing.

With a newer (95+) bike, take off the slotted cover from the LH cylinder side. That's the end of the KIPS mainshaft. Rotate it by hand (12mm I think) to make sure it both moves AND returns to stasis when you release tension.

Ask the owner if he HAS maintenance records. You might luck out and get a FredT kinda guy that writes all that stuff down..as he actually DOES it.

Take a peak at the air filter. If it's got a layer of dirt on it, you can probably bet that if he didn't do the easy stuff, he didn't do the harder stuff, either.

An '01 for $3400 is silly. It's two years old, already!! There's a lot to be said for a new bike. A lot to be said for someone else taking the beating on one, too!

I realize the above isn't 'specific' to the kdx...more of a general nature. Guess the point is that with decent maintenance, the kdx is a hardy machine.

Enjoy yours!

ACGUY

Feb 6, 2001
I also look for evidence of high usage with low maintenance. I usually take a hard look at the current owner and how he keeps his posessions. All of these issues mentioned here and above are purely economic. The idea for you is to get the best bike for the money you are about to spend. You can take any bike and make it perfect with the right amount of $$. Consider the cost of the issues BEFORE you buy. Other than starting, shifting, power, and suspension capabilities, consider these as well:

worn out tires and or brakes
Rotors bent or damaged
chain and sprockets worn to limits
loose or missing spokes
worn, sloppy brake pedal
Loose kickstarter or shifter
worn foot pegs
bent radiators
cracked plastic
broken levers
bent handlebars
missing bolts
cables binding or damaged
frame cracks or welds
fork tube dents
swing arm play
grips
seat
lights not working or missing??
fender bag missing?

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I'm with these guys.
IMO maintenance, the type and frequency of usage, and the owners' general demeanor and condition of his possesions is a good indicator of how the bike was used and maintained. Of course, if there was 2 or more previous owners, the picture gets blurry :| My bike had 2 previous owners, the first a kid and the previous owner was a guy who fixed all the problems created by the kid. After 2 years, this bike has been a gem!

Top Bottom