John92YJ

Mar 5, 2008
the vid is him and his friend just messing around on our track, its a little long but im just looking for tips on the jumps and any pointers on his riding. Thanks

please let me know what you think. he has never raced but i think he is ready
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UNHOIYwlEHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UNHOIYwlEHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I only watched the first 3 minutes but he looks plenty ready to head to the track and race in the appropriate class to me.

He looks like he's riding just fine at this stage to me and it should always be about fun so I would let him progress on his own for now instead of worrying too much about technique or tips. The one jump in the middle of the yard going from right to left on the film he consistently goes nose down but I think that is more the product of the jump face than it is his style over the jump.

The one tip I would offer is no riding without goggles, one rock from that ATV or anyone else could cost him an eye and that's not a risk I'd be prepared to take with my child.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Is this a new video or an old one? I thought we had discussed this one before?

The only thing I might mention to him would be to not drag his foot like an outrigger in the turns. He looks like he puts it out the to catch himself if he needs it and that could end badly. (My first broken bones in MX were from putting my foot out to catch myself)

John92YJ

Mar 5, 2008
Chili said:
I only watched the first 3 minutes but he looks plenty ready to head to the track and race in the appropriate class to me.

He looks like he's riding just fine at this stage to me and it should always be about fun so I would let him progress on his own for now instead of worrying too much about technique or tips. The one jump in the middle of the yard going from right to left on the film he consistently goes nose down but I think that is more the product of the jump face than it is his style over the jump.

The one tip I would offer is no riding without goggles, one rock from that ATV or anyone else could cost him an eye and that's not a risk I'd be prepared to take with my child.

yes fun is what it's all about, and that jump was a lot shorter we added about 3 1/2 ft to the landing and now the lip needs to be re shaped and he likes to let off the gas right on the lip witch drops the front. The quad wasn't out there at first and that's the only reason they where off. Thanks for the reply :cool:

John92YJ

Mar 5, 2008
High Lord Gomer said:
Is this a new video or an old one? I thought we had discussed this one before?

The only thing I might mention to him would be to not drag his foot like an outrigger in the turns. He looks like he puts it out the to catch himself if he needs it and that could end badly. (My first broken bones in MX were from putting my foot out to catch myself)
its new but we have talked about it before. Ive always thought that's what your suppose to do?

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
John92YJ said:
its new but we have talked about it before. Ive always thought that's what your suppose to do?

The only reason I bring my foot off is for two reasons:

1) throwing my leg out by the front wheel helps me get even more weight transferred to the front wheel to get more bite, so to stay planted at a sharper lean angle

2) to get it out of the way so my foot doesn't get hung up on roots and such on the inside of a turn. Also, when you start slamming into turns then sometimes your foot gets hung up on the ground when your footpeg just folds back out of the way, so throwing your foot forward gets it up and out of the way so not to get hung up.

Your son taking his foot off will more commonly cause him problems rather than helping him in any way, but for now just let him have fun. Don't get over involved in thinking he's going to be the next racing prodigy or anything, just let him have a good time and remind him that you're proud no matter how he does!

Top Bottom