mark_71378

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2008
Travel responsibly on designated roads and trails or in permitted areas.
Travel only in areas open to dirt biking.
On slick trails, moderate the throttle and use the clutch to gain maximum traction with minimum tailspin.
On switchbacks, avoid roosting around the apex of the turn when climbing or brake-sliding during descent, both of which gouge the trail.
Drive over, not around obstacles to avoid widening the trail.
Cross streams only at designated fording points or where the trail crosses the stream.
Comply with all signs and barriers
Buddy up with two or three riders. Riding solo can leave you vulnerable if you have an accident or breakdown. Designate meeting areas in case of separation.
Respect the rights of others including private property owners and all recreational trail users, campers and others to allow them to enjoy their recreational activities undisturbed.
Be considerate of others on the road or trail.
Leave gates as you find them.
If crossing private property, be sure to ask permission from the landowner(s).
Yield the right of way to those passing you or traveling uphill. Yield to mountain bikers, hikers, and horses.
Do not idly ride around in camping, picnicking, trailhead and residential areas.
Keep speeds low round crowds and in camping areas.
Keep the noise and dust down.

Educate yourself by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies, planning for your trip, taking recreation skills classes, and knowing how to use and operate your equipment safely.
Obtain a map of your destination and determine which areas are open to dirt bikes.
Make a realistic plan, and stick to it. Always tell someone of your travel plans.
Contact the land manager for area restrictions, closures, and permit requirements.
Check the weather forecast before you go.
Prepare for the unexpected by packing a small backpack full of emergency items.
Wear a helmet, eye protection, and other safety gear.
Buddy up with two or three riders. Riding solo can leave you vulnerable if you have an accident or breakdown. Designate meeting areas in case of separation.
Know your limitations. Watch your time, your fuel, and your energy.
A DirtBike School SM Call 1-877- 288-7093 to enroll. class provides a fast-paced, half-day, hands-on training session.
Make sure your vehicle is mechanically up to task. Be prepared with tools, supplies, spares and a spill kit for trailside repairs.
Avoid sensitive areas such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams, unless on designated routes.
Other sensitive habitats to avoid unless on designated routes include cryptobiotic soils of the desert, tundra, and seasonal nesting or breeding areas.
Avoid disturbing historical, archeological, and paleontological sites
Avoid “spooking” livestock and wildlife you encounter and keep your distance.
Motorized and mechanized vehicles are not allowed in areas designated as Wilderness.
Do your part by leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species, restoring degraded areas, and joining a local enthusiast organization.
Carry a trash bag on your vehicle and pick up litter left by others.
Pack out what you pack in.
Practice minimum impact camping by using established sites and camping 200 feet from water resources and trails.
Observe proper sanitary waste disposal or pack your waste out.
Protect the soundscape by preventing unnecessary noise created by a poorly tuned vehicle or revving your engine without need.
Following a ride, wash your dirt bike and support vehicle to reduce the spread of invasive species.
Don’t mix riding with alcohol or drugs.

flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
i have to say i will not carry a trash bag while riding and pick up trash.
EDIT: stupid thing to say. that kind of attitude only hurts my own sport.

Last edited:

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
When I go out riding, my Mom sums all that up in four simple words; " Don't be an a$$hole".

So far, it has worked. But that is partly because of the fact that I fear my mother, she is psychic, has eyes in the back of her head, can see through walls and hears every word I say within a 10 mile raduis. I'm not joking.

Top Bottom