Vincent

Nov 28, 2000
Hi
Is there a such thing as tire inserts, so you dont need a tube?
What are they called, who makes them, how much?
I seem to have a problem getting flats...
Thanks
Vincent

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Well, to help out a fellow Canadian:) , a company called Tech Products makes tire inserts called Tech Tubes. There made of solid foam, so no is tube needed. Fronts are $80 and rears are $100 ( american $$).
Hope this helps:)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Michelin and Moose also have foam inserts. They are very difficult to mount, and I don't like the way they feel when riding. Unless you are a pro rider racing for the point lead, they are not worth the expense and trouble.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Bridgestone have an "ultra-heavy duty " tube (at least, they do in australia).
It's supposed to be pinch proof - dunno if it is but I haven't had a flat for a while...
I ride in very rocky terrain where I was getting flats even at 18psi; now I'm back down to 12psi and so far no flats.
They are a pain to put in though; the rubber is easily twice as thick as normal heavy duty tubes.
Cost: about US$15...

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Just saw an ad while flipping thru a mag for Michelin Bib Mousse. Says it is a foam core insert made of a sponge like circle of Butyl honycomb foam charged with nitrogen. Also states a pressure equivalent of 13 psi. All kinds of "restrictions" though like: maximum distance on hard surface at high speed is 20 miles, and they can only handle a top speed of 80mph. Im guessing that with speeds over 80mph the centrifigual force may be too great and the foam may start to break apart:think

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by fatty_k
All kinds of "restrictions" though like: maximum distance on hard surface at high speed is 20 miles, and they can only handle a top speed of 80mph. Im guessing that with speeds over 80mph the centrifigual force may be too great and the foam may start to break apart:think
The restrictions are due to heat build-up. Extended high-speed running will literaly melt the inserts.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by KID KDX
Next time you are on a ride and take a little break, take off your glove and feel the tire!:scream:
Exactly. The tire heats up from flexing. Take a coat hanger and bend it back and forth rapidly until it breaks, then touch the broken end with your finger. After you pull your burned finger out of your mouth, think about where that heat came from.:think

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Did you guys see the MX mag (not sure which one) which had a section on how to change the inserts? It was amazing. The guy had 7-8 tire irons, several pairs of vice grips (I think they were vice grips) and several other tools lying around just to change one tire.:eek:

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
The fastest I've seen from mine, is like 68, according to my GPS. Now I didn't stand on it for excessive length (miles) and I don't know what my gearing is.

But yeppers, my kdx won't do 80 :)

-MD

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
My figures come from the local 1/4 mile track timing system and a Panoram computer (configured to correct front wheel diameter btw).

If it won't do 80 with a 13t (well..and NOT some 50+ on the back), something's wrong...or at least something could be better.

But the original statement being, 'MINE won't do 80'...is not the same as 'the KDX won't do 80'.:D

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Let me clarify then, I don't think mine will based upon it's current gearing :)

But I also think a stock one won't either. Stock being the opperative word.

Top Bottom