Tire Install Tricks??

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I doubt I'm the only one, but after changing tires today, I'm having a problem getting the bead to set fully around the rim. You know the bead extends out past the rim a bit for protection. The problem is that a small section of bead remains flush with the rim. I beat the hell out of my rear tire a couple of weeks ago and corrected the problem, but I forgot if I rotated the tire around the rim to get the fit right. Any suggestions guys :bang:
S12 Front
M12 Rear

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
wd40???

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004

Regardful

May 29, 2005
Ditto! I just had a similar problem this past week. Make sure the rim lock isn't in the way and use lots of dish soap. Always seems to work for me.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
As the others have suggested use some sort of lubricant and then overinflate the tire until the bead sets. Then back off the tire pressure to your desired setting.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Don't laugh but I've been using an old bottle of Wett that I wasn't using anymore. That stuff makes the tire go into place real nice.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I used WD40 to remove and install. Works better than soap n water. But maybe the soap and water will work a little better. And the rim lock is not impeading the tire. I have tried tighten & leaving loose during inflation. It worked while tightened on the rear. Oh well gotta go beat a tire :pissed:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yep, something to help lube it and a lot of pressure. Usually they will pop on around 50psi, but I've had a couple of stubborn cases that took 95psi. I usually inflate and deflate the tire a few times to get the tube all sorted out and then keep inflating untill seated.

cheers

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Well I lubed it and at 25psi it seated. Thanks guys, I was worried I might blow the tube if I put double to amount of recommended PSI in the tube.
Later-Jack

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
I had the same issue as you before, but instead of beating it, I just took it for a spin around the track. It worked the tire around the rim within a couple laps.

Ryan

Gerg

May 7, 2002
Ryone said:
I had the same issue as you before, but instead of beating it, I just took it for a spin around the track. It worked the tire around the rim within a couple laps.

Ryan
I can't imagine that's really a very good idea. In fact, I'd guess that it's a bad idea.

I can thonk of too many things that may go wrong with that method, including some serious damage to the rim.

If none of the experts are doing it, I'd stay away from that method. :2cents:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
You will not blow a tube with higher pressure. The tube doesn't hold the pressure, the tire does:)

I've seen mx bike tires aired up over 100 psi without trouble, they are quite sturdy.

glad you got it worked out.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004

It really isn't a dangerous thing to do. You have to remember, I'm not an expert, and I don't jump 100 feet. It's not like the tire is going to come off of the rim.
Like it was stated before, dirt tires are very sturdy. If you just roll around the track for a couple laps, you'll be fine... I promise ;)

Ryan

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Sometimes it takes a little ride around the block to help set the tire as well. Just don't go too fast! :yikes:

Gerg

May 7, 2002
I just think of things like picking up a small rock, or hitting a stick or something, and making a mess of things.

Get the right tools for the job, and it will be much easier (and quicker) in the long run. Thanks to my bead breaker and tire changing stand, I was able to change 3 sets of tires this past week for 3 supermotards, taking about 20 minutes per set. And no, I'm no mechanic, and it ain't brain surgery, but having the right tools is what it's all about.

Oct 10, 2004
my trick is to take it to someone else to put the damn thing on. However my non smartass response is to use tire soap I use it every day at work for mounting new truck tires the stuff is great and prevents corrosion

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I'm sold on the slimy mechanic's soap in the can. In the past I've had to run tires to 100lbs to seat the bead. When I used the soap it popped right into place before my compressor even kicked on.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Oldschooldeathwish said:
my trick is to take it to someone else to put the damn thing on. However my non smartass response is to use tire soap I use it every day at work for mounting new truck tires the stuff is great and prevents corrosion

That's what I watched Woody at Woody's Wheel Works in Denver use. It gave me the idea of using mechanic soap. Where do you buy tire soap?

yzfjim750

Mar 12, 2004
Tires

Try tire soap the proper stuff not WD40 that is a lubricant and if it gets on the rim lock can cause the tyre to spin on the rim were tyre soap washes off with water and does not attack the rubber :blah:

Oct 10, 2004
if you know of any truch shop in the area you might be able to get the guys there to give you some. if not try a tool supply place or somewhere tires are installed

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…