CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
A few weeks back I asked for tire recommendations. The Michelin 12 series tires seemed to get some good feedback so I thought I’d give ‘em a try.

As a quick recap, I have always run Dunlop 739’s on my KDX. They seemed to work and wear well. I noticed that not too many other riders shared my like for this particular tire so I thought I’d venture out and look for a new tire. All of my friends run different tires so I was able to ask questions about many of the other tires out there.

I learned that everyone loves the tires they run so their feedback was useless. So I observed how I thought their bikes were hooking up and how much roost they throw. I also rode their bikes, trying to concentrate on how the tires felt but that was of little value (in making an opinion about the tires at least). None of this was any help.

So in the end I went with the recommendation of my local shop. They suggested an M12 Intermediate tire in the rear (130/80-18) and an S12 in the front.

I rode these tires at a VERY muddy MX track this weekend. Keep in mind that the tires, and the rider, were out of their element at this track. I usually ride trails and rough terrain; that is why I chose an intermediate tire. The track I rode on really called for an S12 rear so I thought that this was a good test at how versatile the M12 is.

The M12 performed perfectly at the track. I was never in need for traction. Regardless of how much mud I was going through the M12 just hooked up and went. I could rail all of the corners with full throttle. In fact, the true test for these tires was that after the first laps around the track everyone I was riding with was complaining about the traction of the track and the loose muddy conditions. Up until that point I hadn’t even considered that traction was a problem. Braking was also very good and I never found myself out of control. Brake-sliding was somewhat of a problem because the rear just wouldn’t break loose. The only solution was a big bonus; I had to carry more speed into the turn a brake later to get the rear to slide.

In all I found the M12/S12 combo a better tire than I had expected. There weren’t any fitment problems. The M12 is a directional tire so they can’t be turned. I seldom turn my tires so this isn’t much of an issue to me.

Oh, they look really cool too.

Last edited:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Cool!  I find your combo to be interesting.  Around here, the M12 lovers are crazy about the front.  They seem to like an M12 front and an S12 rear.  Personally, I have S12s front and rear.  I too am a convert from Dunlops, but I was running the older 752s.  I liked the rear 752, but really didn't like the front too well.  I find that the Mich S12 front hooks up much better and lasts longer.  The S12 front will still give you decent side bite when the nobs are starting to chunk off.

The S12s hold up surprisingly well in the rocky conditions that I put them in a couple of times a year.  Most of my single track riding takes place in brown tacky dirt or sand.  So, soft terrrain tires are the way to go.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
As it was explained to me, the S12 is a hard compound tire that is made to "bite" into soft terrain. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the H12 is a soft compound tire that is made to be flexible to provide good traction on hard surfaces. I was told that the S12 front would hold-up very well on rocky terrain. I usually change my front tire after 2 to 3 rear tires because they do last longer. We will see if the Michelins allow me to continue with that rotation.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I think it will.  I usually change the front every 2nd rear, and have had good luck with the S12.  I put mine in some nasty rocks on Saturday, and they still look great.  As they get older, the front nobs will start to chunk, but they work great until they get ripped off.  It's just a matter of how long they will hang on there.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
thanks for the tire feedback, guys.  May have to give the s12s a try next time.

I have been a devout user of 752/755/756 rears, and 752 fronts.  Currently I have the 755 front.  Not sure if I like the front tires that have the tapered knobs, though.  Seems like it wouldn't work as well as a square sided knob.

Top Bottom