Tired of Pedaling...time for a motor

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
Alright, so enough forum lurking time to actually ask my own questions about a bike of my own:

1) your physical size: 5' 11", 185lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you: I like to push things, it usually hurts, but it's more fun.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????: There is an MX track a stones throw from my house that I'd like to ride. A few 4x4 ares near by aswell. Plus bombing around on the family farm.

4) Do you have any riding experience? bupkiss...zip, nada...non. I convinced a buddy to let me try his old Enduro once, that was it.

5) Do you think you will race: Not likley, but I will be at the track...and it will be jumped.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I'm quite mechanically enclined, I've rebuilt a few car engines and I'm used to working on my Toyota pickup. So I'd prefer to do my own maintenace.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Brand...don't care. But I've been leaning towards a 2 stroke for availability, cost and ease to work on.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? There are a few dealers within a few miles carrying more brands than I knew existed.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? I'd like to keep it under $3K(cannuck bucks, so $2500usd ish)

10) Do you live in California?...not if you paid me. Calgary, Alberta Canada

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion:
I'm coming over from Downhill mountain biking, so I've already gotten used to tuning suspention forks, and I'm not uncomfortable in the air. So hopefully that will make the transition easier.

I've been looking at a few bikes I've found for sale around town: found a '91 KX250 that might need a bit of work. Something about the rear brake pedal mount and the clutch basket. My parts guy also mentioned parting with his '02 CR250. Seems there are a few 250 2-strokes around.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
You might be able to find a 2002 and older 250 2-stroke for under 3k.
I don't know if you'd want to start on something that big,
Maybe a 2004 and older 125 2-stroke.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I was thinking about the issue of starting on something smaller, but...

I went throught the same thing on my mountain bikes, and it got really expensive really fast. I'd like to get something that I can learn on, but not get bored with by the end of the year because I just won't have the money to go to something bigger.

skyhigh230

Mar 21, 2007
ehh..id sugest a 250 4-stroke because your learning, its not good to first start out on something that has too much power than you can handle. oh and steer clear of any 230's their the worst of the worst bikes on the market today

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
No experience eh?

Well.. A 125 2-stroke will be fine. Alot of my friends rode my friends bored out Race built RM80 and where having problems and had to go and ride my wee little KE100...

A 125 will not be boring. Ad if it does there are always Exhausts, Reeds, carb mods. And if you really want to get serious there are 144 kits. Now... Just think about it. The biggest 2-strokes made nowdays (Except CR500) are 250's. And they keep up with 450's. Now... Alot of experienced people have some problems harnesing the power of a 250. It wont be any easier for you.. Just think with 250'cc of raw 2-stroke power in your hand. And you sneeze and it can be all over.... Or if you like to show off. Just give it alittle much and bam here comes the ambulance.

I think a 125 will be plenty for you. Considering you have no experience.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
That's why I'm here: cause I only "think" I know what I want...but that usually ends up me hurting myself. And I know this is an over generalization, but are you looking about the same kind of power from a 250F as you'd get a 125?

I've looked at some of the specs of 125's vs their 250 big brothers, and everything seems about the same with the exception of a little less weight(and power). So it would seem to me(again could be wrong), that a 125 would be a little easier to throw around...and load into the truck.

Hmm...seems my search my have just expanded

THORmx_nucca

Apr 15, 2007
Either a 125 2-stroke or a 250 4-stroke..

They are both in the same racing class, so they are definitely similar.

But since 2-stroke pipes are roughly around $500 USD cheaper, I'd go with the 125 2-stroke.

Currently I am riding an '05 CR125R.. I've previously owned a KX85 and still have a CRF150F. And to put it blatantly, I was scared of it until maybe a good 10 hours after I rode it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom