doug sa

Aug 6, 2004
Hi Everyone

I just got a 2001 TM250 MX. I would like to get a service manual for it, anyone know where I could order an english one from?

I need to redo the clutch as it was firstly not disengaging properly and after a good weekends riding is now slipping like crazy. I have not opened it up yet but have a few questions:
1) What is the spring length supposed to be.
2) What fluid do I use in the hydrolic clutch, I want to bleed it.
3) Is it fine to use Honda Clutch Plates or should I try to get TM ones.

By the way this is a wicked bike, had my mates with brand new YZ's and CR's chewing dust until the clutch gave in.

Doug

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
doug sa said:
....I just got a 2001 TM250 MX. I would like to get a service manual for it, anyone know where I could order an english one from?....

That's easy to answer! Write a manual, print it and order it by sending an e-mail to yourself.

Clutch springs shouldn't be shorter than 43 mm if they are the stock TM springs. You can use Barnett springs for a late model Honda CR250R. Those are a bit softer but about 10 mm longer than the stock TM ones. Gives a slightly lighter pull at the lever.

Clutch fluid depends on what make the master cylinder is. Grimeca and AJP M/Cs use brake fluid (DOT 4 or 5.1) and Magura uses almost anything, but no brake fluid. You can use for example ATF or a very light fork oil in Maguras.
Usually it should be noted on the M/C top cover what to use.

Honda friction plates are absolutely the same, Honda steel plates are 0.5 mm thicker than TM ones. When you want to use them you have to use one friction plate less than your current set-up. (8 friction plates instead of 9 and 7 steel ones instead of 8). Pre-'99 TMs wre equipped like this and nobody knows why they changed that. Using the thicker steel plates reduces the danger of warped plates due to overheating, which results in heavy clutch drag.

Top Bottom