Today I joined the KDX Club...

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
All I wanted was a stock 02 KDX 220 to ride trails with.....

...but today took delivery of a 2000, street legal KDX 200. I bought it from a dealer in Florida basically for the fact that someone had taken time to get it on the road. I took a chance and did not know what I was letting myself in for. Well the bike has seen service but overall it's very clean and starts first kick. Now let me list the surprises...

The nasty surprises...Oil is dripping slowly from the base of the exhaust and the indicators and brake light do not work. The headlight works fine.

The pleasant surprises...The bike has a full Baja kit which I expected and I estimate cost +$400, but that's not all... Renthal bars with steering stabilizer, FMF Gold Series Gnarly pipe, FMF TDS-3 silencer, Acerbis hand guards and the chain looks upgraded too (is gold in color). She starts first kick and sounds great. After a quick ride the gearing and suspension felt fine. And the most pleasant surprise, the price $2800.00.

Man, did it feel fine to be on a two stroke again and I cant wait, after 10 years, to get out on the trail again.

Apart from an oil change what should I look out for and what should I expect ?

Jason2001

Jan 3, 2001
What to expect? How about a bunch of envious KDX owners! Sounds like you got a smokin' deal. The only thing that I might do ( i said might ) is grease all the bearings and change the fork and trans fluid. Look out for the notoriusly soft stock fork springs. $2800......

Masu

Dec 29, 2001
Jason 2001 wrote:

"Look out for the notoriusly soft stock fork springs. "

Hey guy, where can I get harder spring, or I guess I should say ones with a higher spring rate?

I'm a large guy, 6'+ and I weigh in at well let's say around 250 Lbs.

Besides a diet (working on that) I need some way stiffer fork spring, rear shock too, where is the best place to find them? They really don't exist in this country, most of the Japanese guys I know find the spring just right, or even a little stiff :)

Cheers!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Masu, try clicking on MX-Tech - give Jeremy an email. He'll be able to ship them out to you no problems. I contacted him about my shock spring & am happy with the weight he suggested. I told him weight, terrain, ability (or lack thereof) etc. I'd gone to Racetech & punched in everything & they came up with an even softer spring (Jer recommended 4.4kg, Racetech had recommended 3.8kg, so I went with Jer's recommendation & am happy).

DoubleTrouble, congrats on your new ride. Check out the JustKDX pages - http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ - for recommendations on what to do with a new scoot, along with jetting tips etc etc
Michelle

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Congrats!

sound like you made a find !

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Thanks guys, (Jason, Michelle, Marlin & Masu)

I checked out the justKDX pages and intend to follow the maintenance schedule as suggested. First off though I'm going to have my local Kawasaki dealer check it out and do the first service. The oil dripping slowly from the exhaust does not look too menacing but rather safe than sorry.

I fired her up yesterday and went on a slow jaunty trail ride for an hour and the engine sounds fine. The transmission worked well and in general everything seems okay. When I did open her up she hopped and the exhaust note ripped.

After 10 years out of the saddle this bike has more than enough power for me. I don't know how much more powerful over stock it is with the FMF pipe and silencer but so far I'm impressed. Truth be known my apprehension levels are still quite high.

If anyone is going to the Amarillo spodefest, (emphasis on spode), I hope to meet some of you guys there - Look out for the really, really slow guy with brown riding pants :eek:

Last edited:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by DoubleTrouble
Look out for the really, really slow guy with brown riding pants
Umm, are they meant to be brown or did you have an oops? (sorry, couldn't help myself)

It's probably just your jetting is off (the exhaust thing, not your pants). As for how much more powerful the bike is with FMF system, basically if you put the stock one on (if you have it & someone hasn't used it as an anchor), you'll find the bike constipated.

In the maintenance schedule, they recommend you change the tranny oil every umpteen miles, but personally I'd rather change it more often & not have to buy a new tranny.

Don't forget to give us a ride report (especially curious about road riding one, can't say I'd be keen, gravel roads to get between trails is okay, but not asphalt).
Have fun,
Michelle

Masu

Dec 29, 2001
Hey Michelle:

On the road the KDX 220SR that I have just rocks!

I was on the road this last Sunday, and I have the T-63 tires on my bike, they are about 60% off-road and 40% on road, they day, but I was taking corners at almost full speed, I did feel the front tire get a bit mushy at times, and I had the rear leaving darkies out of some of the slower corners, but the KDX in off-road form rocks on the road.

I'm going to do the Super Motard conversion and ride mine on the track too, but it will take about 30 minutes total time to swap back and forth between the two modes.

Cheers!

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
I rode the bike to work yesterday and it's quite a pleasant ride. The bike does not sound too loud if the revs are kept under control and the knobbly tires, (not for highway use Dunlop's), held their grip in the corners. Slow speed cornering was the order of the day. The gearing is a bit low so high speeds are not obtainable without getting the revs up. This kept my speed down but I did not mind as it also kept me out of trouble with the law.

Overall, as Masu says, "On the road this bike rocks".

...and yes Michelle, (you got my drift), my riding pant's are not brown at the start of a ride :D

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Just Figured Out...

...why the indicators and brake-light aren't working.

The stator needs to be rewired. When I have the revs up the indicators work and the brake light shines brightly. When the revs drop the indicators slow to a halt.

I meant to take the bike in for an inpection today but the sub-zero temps put that thought on hold. The bike does not have DOT tires and I'll try and get it through without changing them now. If I am told to change them can anyone recommend the most knobbly street legal tires out there - Thanks.

Other than that the bike is purrrrfect. Make that, "Funking Marvelous" ! :)

Last edited:

Masu

Dec 29, 2001
MT-21s

T-63s

There is also a good Continental, I forget the name...

Cheers!

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
DT it must be catchy i joined on feb 2 a 99 200 to go with my klx300.i'm no stranger to a kdx my bud had one u do the math.congrats to u.;)
dennis

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Welcome to the club Neal, I was worried you were going to ride that Ninja 250 forever (not much in the dirt is it ! :eek:), now to get out and throw some roost on you, we will not try to scare you TOO much on the trails at the fest.

So what's next ? rewind stator , and 225cc Eric Gorr kit, hey KelvinKDX, DT is my brother from Temple Texas ! :) Give us the inside skinny on that conversion of yours ! :p

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
BB,

The inside skinny right now is that i do not have the cylinder head back yet from EG. Wendy called him Friday while i was in Arkansas. He says that he is still waiting on a gasket kit. :mad:

I am eagerly awaiting the 225 head and warmer weather too! :cool:

I have been working on a new toy though. My newly found 1977 Peugeot 103 SP. :D

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Jim, is that a 10 speed bicycle, a moped or old french car :p

Yeah, I think Neal will be quite interested to hear about the 225 conversion and your impressions, will have to see for myself at LL spring ride !

No Pampera in the Pipeline yet ! :confused:

Last edited:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
BB,

The Peugeot is a moped. I bought it when i was 14 (1978) and lived in France.

If you send me the $$ i will buy Wendy the Pampera!! :moon:

That way she will have it for the April LL ride. :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…