Tony, Lou, Chili, Dave and other Digital Cam Types.. Help?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
BTW.. I know you said you shoot a lot of high speed-low light stuff Carlo; as good as the 20 is, there is still noise in the shadows and darker areas. If you haven't already seen it/got it, you REALLY need to check-out "Noise Ninja" Stupid name AWESOME (software) product. They have a stand-alone version and one that comes with Photoshop plug-in. Works really well.

http://www.picturecode.com/index.htm

Then again, with that BAD-ASS lense you've got, you probably get pro results. :moon:

B

biglou

I had PM'd with Chili talking about the AF points that the camera chooses. I "think" (it was hot that day, and I was racing, so I wasn't all there-ok, less there) and when in aperture priority on the Rebel, it seemed to always pick the center focus point, which is really good for what I was shooting (MX). Might be something to investigate.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Tony as far as generic batteries go it's hit and miss, all the guru's over at fredmiranda.com swear by the sterlingtek's though. As for press passes RacerXCanada arranged one for me for Millville :yeehaw: I opted to only shoot amateur day and some of Saturday practice as this was supposed to be a family vacation. I got some strange looks when I turned in the photographer vest on Saturday night and told them I was going to watch from the stands with my family on Sunday :laugh: Hopefully I'll get some photo's processed tonight and post them up!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Okay, I'm impressed. Haven't bought it yet, that's why there are gridlines, using the demo at the moment.... but here are a couple examples of Noise Ninja. These are 100% crops, shot at 1600 (obviously, no flash). The difference in the overall image is astounding actually.

First the darker corner of the shot, where most of the noise would be, then a light area with some shading.

Attachments

• 1600_noise.jpg
    1600_noise.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1600_noise_ninja.jpg
    1600_noise_ninja.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 92

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Has anyone run across a good program/database to log photos?

I have about 25,000 images on file and used MS Access, but lost Access in the last computer crash Now I can't access the Access database. :)

It was becoming unwieldy anyway, of course that might be because I don't know what I am doing ... :bang:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Did I mention that this kicks the bootie?
:p

(yeah, I ordered the grip and a couple batteries (thanks for the link Chili). I was surprised that the batteries are affordable, nothing else is with this thing! But of course now I only have the single battery charger... ugg.

Attachments

• 20d.jpg
    20d.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 90

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
You mean like a gallery? There are many available.

Nope, I'm looking for a database that I can run sort in and come up with a list of all DW photographs, Dime Box Texas photographs, etc.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Tony Eeds said:
Has anyone run across a good program/database to log photos?

I messed around about a year ago with Adobe Photo Album. It seemed OK. You can download a trial that is a full version of the software but will only remain active for about 90 days. Check it out and see if it will work for your purposes.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Timr said:
I messed around about a year ago with Adobe Photo Album. It seemed OK.

Thanks! I will check it out.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Get a grip man! Damn shuterbug. Noise scmoise, but I'll check out the ninja noise thingy, thanks! It's gonna be a 20D DW this year I do believe. ;)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Chili said:
Psst Okie,
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Where is the hook line and sinker smilie?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
After reviewing all of the camera info on this thread, I think I'ma gonna have to stay in super amatuer mode and get something under $300. Holy cow, I had no idea camera's cost this much money. I remember using Tony's camera at DW '02 and thinking what a blingy thing it was (Came in it's own SUITCASE for crissakes!) That was cool experience, but I'll stick with the simple versions! :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Natty: You can pick up a D30 on that evil auction site for a couple of hundred dollars. That is a good way to get into SLR system photography. I like the Canon Elph 5 for a pocket camera. Had an Elph 4 until I took a dive over the bars at DW last year.

B

biglou

Bringing this one back to the top, Nat, I think you'd really like one of the digital SLR cameras. The quality is astounding. Walmart has the new Rebel XT and the D20 (both Canon) for $995 and $1500, respectively. They have full auto modes, including a sport mode, so they really can be simple point and shoot cameras, and you have so much flexibility and expandability when you are ready to explore the capabilities of the camera. I think you'd do well with one. :cool:

B

biglou

Ha! Looking for something else and found this thread. Can you believe it's been less than a year since Bob got "the bug"? Holy crap, man. Look how far you've come in 11 months!

Top Bottom