thejunglebook

Jul 13, 2005
Hey,
I just got home from looking at a bike. An 01 Honda CR80. I've never had a bike before or ridden one, but a lot of people suggested this bike to learn on. The kid who owned it though said he thought it was probably too much bike for me. I mean I'm a pretty tall kid - 5'9-10'ish and I have a Suzuki King Quad 500, and I've used a clutch a couple times on my friends Honda 250 sport quad, so I don't think it will be that much. Did anyone else learn on a CR80? I dont really know anyone who has one or has ridden a dirt bike, and I would like to maybe race in the future. . but I'm not sure if I should look for a 4 stroke instead. The kid (who was my height) suggested an XR100 to learn on because thats what he had, but wouldn't that be too small? Im not sure, I'm a pretty aggressive rider, not some wimpy little girl - lol - but I just wanted someone else's opinion before I go out a splurge all my money on a bike. I would consider a CRF150 but I cant afford it (used is like 2300$). Any advice, suggestions, etc would be so HELPFUL!. . Thanks

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
junglebook, I think this guy was just threatened that a girl would be able to handle the same bike he had just been riding. At your height, a CR80 might be a little small for you, but it certainly would not be too much for you. Certainly, the power that a CR80 has is very abrupt, but you can learn how to handle it fairly quick. An XR100 would certainly be a better bike to learn on, but you would be bored of it very quickly, especially if you are an agressive person. For your height, get at least an XR200 or XR250. They are just as easy to learn on as a 100 if you can reach the ground on one (which I'm sure you could), but with twice the power. You should be able to find one for less than $2000.

Top Bottom