V13TxFo0

Jan 29, 2007
when i turn my gas tank to the on switch gas comes leaking out from the bottom carb tube. i cleaned the jet and the inside. Is there a screw or something i can adjust how much gas is going to the carb? whats wrong? how can i fix this?

thanks in advance!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Souds like you have a float problem. Inside the bowl of the Carb there is a float which moves up as gas flows into the carb. If the gas comes in faster then it goes out the float will raise a needle which will block off the fuel flow.
There are many things that you should look at
1) is the bowl clean and no dirt or varnish in there?
2)is the float moving freely up and down?
3)will the float actually float or is it gas soaked and unable to float?
4 Is the float adjusted to the proper level)

These 4 steps will get you started

V13TxFo0

Jan 29, 2007
is the float supposed to go all the way up? i check all of what was listed.. everything was clean float moved up n down jet moved up n down. can this be caused by hitting the throttle too much?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
V13TxFo0 said:
is the float supposed to go all the way up? i check all of what was listed.. everything was clean float moved up n down jet moved up n down. can this be caused by hitting the throttle too much?

It is caused by an inlet needle and seat that is not shutting off the flow of gas. Either the float is misadjusted, or the inlet needle and seat is worn, dirty, or gummed up. When it works properly, the flow of fuel is shut off by the float rising up and sealing the inlet needle, thus stopping the flow of gas into the float bowl.

V13TxFo0

Jan 29, 2007
i checked all those things.. everything seems to be working fine except it keeps flooding.. i left it on for a lil bit and forgot to go check and there was gas all over.. is my engine now flooded?

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Almost cetainly the needle valve assembly. It's hard to check if it's working because when you are looking at it the carb is apart and it's not supposed to be at work. Easy to replace and not too expensive.

V13TxFo0

Jan 29, 2007
i adjusted the floater level.. i hope that will do it.. i used my hand n held the floater n turned the gas on.. not alot came out just a couple of drips..

Jan 26, 2007
if u have fully cleened ur carby set everything right and shees still flooding then put the carby on as u usualy would then turn the full on if she floods a bit give her a litle tap on the botom with a spanner or something

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
demon-speeding said:
if u have fully cleened ur carby set everything right and shees still flooding then put the carby on as u usualy would then turn the full on if she floods a bit give her a litle tap on the botom with a spanner or something

what?? :whoa: Did you text message this reply from your cell phone????

He probably needs a valve grind too.

VT,

Follow Oldguys and timberpigs advice.
It is either the float height adjustment is not correct, or the float needle is worn or not sealing correctly and needs to be replaced or cleaned.

Mully

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If you do not have a manual, you may want to get Eric Gore's book on offroad bikes. It gives some bike specific information but it is great in troubleshooting problems in general. The age of your bike might make it hard to get a factory manual so Eric's book will likely be your best bet. However, if you have a friend with a late model two stroke that has a factory manual, the overall proceedure for setting the float level is the same. Newer manuals give you good diagrams and discriptions and explain the proceedure in detail.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
V13TxFo0:

It sounds to me like you are trying to take shortcuts and avoid fixing the problem properly.....

When the float raises up, it needs to shut the gas off, completely. No drips. If it doesn't, your bike is going to leak gas everytime you park it.

The float height needs to be adjusted properly. In order to do that you need information that would be in a repair manual. The float height is normally measured from the bottom of the float to the case of the carburetor when the float is just in contact with the needle valve. I highly recommend getting a suitable manual (they cost about $30) but perhaps someone on this forum who has one will chime in with the proper value.

It is also very likely that the needle valve is toast and needs to be replaced. Just like any valve, after time the valve seat deteriorates and it simply won't seal anymore. You can buy a new needle and seat for you bike for about $30. Note that when you replace the needle valve it is essential that you adjust the float level.

Rod

V13TxFo0

Jan 29, 2007
i checked everything and it looks like their in perfect condition and do not need to be replaced. I tested it again and it did leak gas. I dont know what the problem is the jet looks fine i adjusted the float higher. here are some pics. more suggestions will help out alot!

Picture438.jpg

floater down
Picture446.jpg

floater up
Picture445.jpg

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
To put it simply, if the float is correctly adjusted, and floating properly (not taking on gas and sinking), then the needle and seat are shot, despite what they look like. The inlet needle and seat often look perfect, but have enough imperfections that they fail to seal and leak fuel.

You need to get a manual to get the correct float height setting, set it to that, ensure the floats are not absorbing or taking on fuel, and if that does not solve the problem, then buy a new needle and seat for your carb.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
TimberPig said:
To put it simply, if the float is correctly adjusted, and floating properly (not taking on gas and sinking), then the needle and seat are shot, despite what they look like. The inlet needle and seat often look perfect, but have enough imperfections that they fail to seal and leak fuel.

You need to get a manual to get the correct float height setting, set it to that, ensure the floats are not absorbing or taking on fuel, and if that does not solve the problem, then buy a new needle and seat for your carb.
:cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom