Tools required for valve adjustment

bxroads

Dec 20, 2004
Hello men, coming from a first time poster. I'm "back in the saddle" so to say. Been out of dirt bikes since I was 16 and I'm 32 now. A local track kept calling and finally I answered. Recently purchased a CRF250 and have been riding the snot out of it on acreage around the house to get a good feel for the bike before I make it to the track. Been working on braking, acceleration, turning, clutch and brake grip, body positioning, but most of all, trying to get back in shape. These things will kick your azz when rode hard. I'm 5'8" and 200 lbs and need to drop about 30 of em. Loosing weight was the excuse I gave my wife for buying the bike (grin).

OK, enough about me. I'm somewhat of a do-it-yourself type of guy and have read the valve adjustment section of the owners manual several times and think I can tackle it. Could someone please offer up advice on the best tools for the job. Based on my reading, this is what I've determined I need.

Feeler guage
Caliper
Torque wrench (I'm thinking Snap On)
Tension shaft stopper (manual says to make one, I would rather buy one)
Camshaft holder bolt

Is there anything I'm leaving out? Whats the best place to buy all this stuff. Does anyone (Rich Rohrich) have any spares they would like to sale to me.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

bxroads from LA (lower Alabama that is)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Here's a link for a good metric feeler guage http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=F804P

Snap On, Precision Instruments, and Matco all have excellent 1/4 " drive inch pound/metric torque wrenches.

www.jlindustrial.com is a good source for an inexpensive metric micrometer for measuring shims (look at the Fowler brand).

All you need to retract the cam chain tensioner is a small flat blade screw driver. There is a detent lock position built in when it's in the fully retracted position.

Make sure and get a yellow layout dye pen to make reference marks on the parts when you are pulling things apart. You'll find it easier to reassemble things that way. Having a digital camera handy and taking pictures before you start disassembly will help as well.

Good luck.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That's good info Rich, thanks. I ended up getting a metric feeler gauge set from Craftsman, with a bend in them and they fit nice.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Attachments

• FOM-50001.jpg
    FOM-50001.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 216

Top Bottom