Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
KDX220woodsrider said:
Whats the best way to break in a fresh top end? And will gassing it hurt it at all?

Depends on what you mean by "gassing it".

Breakin:

1. 10 minutes at idle or just above idle without "gassing it" more than 1/4 throttle. Some people idle the bike sitting for this...I personally think it's better to have the bike moving to get air across the rads. Keep from lugging.

2. Let bike cool down all the way.

3. Warm up and run for 10 minutes staying around 1/4 throttle with no "gassing it" more than 1/2 throttle. Keep from lugging the engine and keep from wringing it out in low gears.

4. Let it cool completely.

5. Warm up and run for 10 minutes staying below 1/2 throttle with no "gassing it" more than 3/4 throttle. Keep from lugging engine and easy on the high rpms. Were still keeping it fairly easy here.

5. Let cool completely.

6. Warm up and run 20 minutes staying below 3/4 with some occational "gassing it". No extended wringing it out.

7. Let cool completely.

Should be good to go after that. Remember, if you put in a weisco...always, take the time to properly warm up your engine before wringing it out. Otherwise, you might find a nice cold seizure.

I'm sure you'll get other opinions on breakin. In fact, if you try to search for "break in" you might be surprised at the amount of info.

Later
Robb

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I have read break in procedures that say you should remove and inspect the cylinder, is this necessary. I think the owners manual suggests this. Is there any dissassembly and inspection required during or after the breakin period?

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
fundgh said:
I have read break in procedures that say you should remove and inspect the cylinder, is this necessary. I think the owners manual suggests this. Is there any dissassembly and inspection required during or after the breakin period?

Kawasaki's official stance is that you should pull the top end after "initial" break in of your brand spanking new off the show room floor bike. Not after a top end job. Sometimes the Nikisel at the ports flakes and puts scratches in the piston when new...or so I've heard. I've never actually seen it and I never tore my top end down after the initial break in when the bike was new. Some people have...some people have not.

When I did my top end last season, everything looked good so I put in a new piston, rings and bearing. Then broke in the bike as stated above.

Later
Robb

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I read in these posts a quick check is to remove the pipe & Reed Intake assembly and look inside with a flashlight. You can get a pretty good idea of whats going on by doing this. Did it to mine and took a 1/2 hour at the most.
TTFN

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom