KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I'm going to be ordering all the parts to do my first top end on the 220. I just want to make sure I get everything I am going to need in advance. Does the Weisco piston kit come with everything but gaskets? Is there anything obscure that i should replace while I have it apart?

I already got the torque wrenches and motion pro adaptor to reach the bolts. Pretty sure I'm up to speed on everything but just want to make sure i don't get it all torn apart and find that I need to order one more little part.

thanks

Gerg

May 7, 2002
I bought a Wiseco piston kit from Jeff Fredette, and it has the piston, rings, wrist pin and new circlips.

I bought a gasket kit from Dennis Kirk, and I think it has everything in it. I'll know tonight, the cylinder head and various parts are soaking in the parts washer today, tonight is re-assembly time!

If I remember right form last time, the normal top-end gasket kit is missing a gasket for either the shift advancer cover or the KIPS cover. This time I bought a different gasket kit, so we'll see.

Both times I completely disassembled the KIPS valve and the auxiliary valves and took all the pieces out for a good scraping/cleaning.

Gerg

May 7, 2002
There's also a gasket on the other KIPS cover. One has "KIPS" on it, and the other is at the front of the cylinder above the exhaust port. It's the Center Valve Cover gasket. There's also a reed valve gasket, but you may or may not need that. You don't have to take that apart, but I do to get everything cleaned as best as possible.

The only problem I've had so far is that I rounded over the right rear cylinder nut (one of the 4). It's a bear to get at, and the wrench didn't get a good grab, so it got tough to get out. Just bought new nuts today to replace all 4.

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
You should replace the wrist pin bearing as well. Don't know if it comes in the kit you ordered, but I've always ordered it separately.

Getting the cylinder nuts off is the easy part, getting them back on and torqued is another matter. I use a torque wrench adapter from Motion Pro, some folks make their own tool.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Thanks for the help guys. The kit I am going to order says it comes with the bearing also but I haven't actually ordered it yet so we'll see when I call them up in the morning.

Gerg

May 7, 2002
Mine's done, and this time the gasket kit included everything, including 0-rings and the copper gasket for the pipe.

Will fire it up in a little while to see if it actually runs!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom