hazer

Sep 15, 2007
i have a old 1999 rt100l. Its a little trail 2-stroker. Im the second owner, and the first just used it to put around at his lake. The bike seems like its lost all its topend. My dad fears that after 8 years, the rings could have worn the cylinder in a oval shape. And new rings would just loose more compression that the old ones. Im planning on selling the bike, and i dont wanna spend alot of money on boring out the cylinder. HELP PLZ :yikes: What can i do to restore most of the power?

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
Take the cylinder out and measure it according to spec and inspect piston, rings gaskets to see if they're worn. If the cylinder is warped it will need to be renickeled which can cost a couple hundred buck plus a new top end kit which is another few bucks.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Im sure it has a cast iron bore and you will not have to have it plated. If you dont want to dump allot of money into into it this what I would do. Give it a quick hone then slap a set of rings on it. Im sure you will have less then 40.00 into it and the results vs money spent will be well worth it.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Why does your dad fear that the cylinder is out of round?

If the bike is 8 years old and has never had a top end refresh done I would certainly do that. You are looking at a few gaskets and a set of rings and a few hours of work.

If your intention is to sell the bike and get out of dirt bikes entirely then you might want to offer it up for sale as is and see if you can get close to market value for it. If the loss of compression is keeping buyers away then do the top end and try selling it again.

If you are selling this bike because it isn't performing for you anymore and you plan on buying a bike that runs better then I would say that your system is flawed. Proper maintenance is essential and refreshing the top end when it is needed is part of the regular maintenace on a dirt bike. Unless you can afford to buy a new bike every year you will need to do the necessary repair on the bike you have. Top end rebuild on a two stroke is easy.

Rod

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
If i remember correctly an RT100 is an aircooled motor. Here is my thoughts. A set of rings cannot cost more than 25.00, a base gasket maybe 10.00, a scotchbrite pad will clean up the cylinder and a whole pack of those are probably like 2.50. For this job you dont even need to take off the cylinder head if you dont want to. I think for 40.00 you may get your fun factor back.

Top Bottom