RECENT POSTS

top end removal ?

is it possible to remove the cylinder from the bike without first removing the head from the cylinder? will this cause any concerns for re-installation?

why wouldnt you just take the head off? that way you can clean out all the carbon built up on the head and scrape off all the gasket crap.

Depends on the bike. I just pulled my 05 apart last weekend, had to take the head off first. But I also have a 5 mm longer rod and a 5 mm spacer under the cylinder, so MAYBE it would have made it without that. You'll just have to try and see.

Whether you pull the head before the cylinder or after removing the cylinder, it still is going to have to come off.

true, thanks guys. I just broke in the bike, and now I want to tear down for a quick inspection as cheaply and easily as possible. they say your not supposed to re-use the o rings. I only put just over an hour on the bike :'(
oh well, ounce of cure right?

Depends on the bike. I've done it in emergencies in the field, where I didn't have a way to anneal the copper head gasket

some times you can kick it with the base bolts out -and it will help break the seal-good trick for older bikes-

taking it apart while saving the top gasket - depends on the bike-,because of the room between the top of the head ,and the frame