JoKDX220r

Oct 3, 2008
Hi,

I recently notice a real difference in power between cold and hot engine. I wonder what to do, if it's normal or something's wrong ?
I really have more power when the engine is "cold".
I have a KDX 220R.
It also made a really strange noise sometimes, in neutral and in gears..
New piston and ring ?
Carbs adjustment ?

Thank you.

liven07

Mar 29, 2009
Take the bike for a ride so it warms up then test the compression. Should be putting out around 115-125 psi I would imagine anything over a 100 psi will run alright.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
JoKDX220r said:
Hi,

I recently notice a real difference in power between cold and hot engine. I wonder what to do, if it's normal or something's wrong ?
I really have more power when the engine is "cold".
I have a KDX 220R.
It also made a really strange noise sometimes, in neutral and in gears..
New piston and ring ?
Carbs adjustment ?

Thank you.
You might want to re-jet as you are probably way too rich. Usually you will notice more power when the ambient temp is colder due to increased volumetric efficiency of the air. Strange noises are often kips related and are normal but the need for proper cleaning of the kips system cannot be over stressed. If you don't have a manual I would highly recommend one.

JoKDX220r

Oct 3, 2008
The kips are clean,
I also removed the cap on the left side and play with the throttle to see if the actuator move correctly.. Any other way to make sure they are working ?

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
JoKDX220r said:
The kips are clean,
I also removed the cap on the left side and play with the throttle to see if the actuator move correctly.. Any other way to make sure they are working ?
If your bike is a 03, ride a reasonable amount in the woods or where you are'nt screaming it, have stock jetting and never cleaned it, its's not clean. if you remove the cover above the pipe you will see the need.

JoKDX220r

Oct 3, 2008
on youtube /watch?v=HASGk7oZYGY
Can't post link directly (spamkiller)

Small video of "the sound" it start at 0:05...

Normal sound ?

Thank you.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I'ts hard to hear cause its not idleing but it sounds like the normal kips rattle, maybe a tad loud, does the rattle get better or worse when you pull the clutch?

JoKDX220r

Oct 3, 2008
I can't manually pull it with my autoclutch, but when i'm riding the sound get worst and it still for a while after that even idleing.

Top Bottom