john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
I've noticed that since the weather has gotten warmer (80-90's) that I have to top off the resovoir about every other ride...I have a 02 200 with typical mods and ride fairly aggressively most of the time. It's not that coolant gets real low or anythng like that, but it just seems to drop a cm or 2 after each ride. Is this normal? This is my first watercooled bike. Previous rides were big bore aircooled european rides from the late 70's and early 80's.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Just to be sure, why don't you clean out the radiators with radiator flush (an acid that removes the mineral coating that restricts cooling capacity) and then put in 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water.
You could also play with the jetting and see if you can go a tad richer which would make it run cooler.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
make sure the lines from the resovoir (behind left side panel under rear fender) aren't pinched. also there should be a nut just aft of the plug, loosen and fill till coolant comes out. i always lean my bike left and right just to make sure its full.

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Jaguar, I flushed the radiators recently and used the 50/50 antifreeze/distilled h20. I noticed that it really dropped when the bike was running a tad lean one day....As a matter of fact the engine REALLY warm that day. I've since correct the lean condition and I tend believe as you noted that it is due to thermal expansion, but i'll probably richen it just a tad more.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Just leave it dry. Mine has been dry now about 2 years after I got tired of topping it off to no avail. As long as you got it in radiator its fine. A lot of folks just take it off completely. And you guys running hot get rid of the 50/50 mix. Water transfers heat better than coolant does. Maybe try like 80/20 or 90/10. Just keep a little in there to ride in winter months so it won't freeze. Redline "Water Wetter" works pretty good too with just straight water.

android86

Mar 12, 2003
i would def. keep it at or close to 50/50 unless you drain it in the winter. If you leave it 90/10 your radiator and block will most likely crack when it gets
cold.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I thought that you run anti-freeze in part to prevent corrosion or deposit build up. So, for the summer when its gonna be in the 90's and never below 70, would it be ok to run 90/10, for better heat transfer?

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Braahp-Are you sure? I used to think water was better at heat transfer but I've read somewhere that I believed that anti-freeze actually helped the heat transfer-and it wasn't an advertisement.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Nothing transfers heat faster than water. But...when it gets to 212 degrees, air bubbles interfer with the wetting action, as in there is less water to metal contact. So now the bike gets hotter, more air bubbles, less water to metal contact and the cycle begins. Antifreeze (antiboil) prevents that but at a price, namely the ability to transfer heat. One product I use is NPG+ from Evans. It is non-water based and doesn't expand when warmed up like water does, so no spilling coolant past the pressure cap. It can run up to 250 degrees without any problem, first hand experiance.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
KDX reservoirs lose water all the time. Having it low or even gone after a ride isn't unusual.

Once the coolant is boiling, it's lost most if not all of it's effectiveness. That's why it's under pressure...to raise the boiling point.

I tried running without it altogether. Then the rad level went down. Whatever the amount loss, the res is evidently capable of returning at least some of the overflow to the cooling system.

I put mine back on.

If you ride without one and have no trouble maintaining coolant level....great. There has to be more air getting thru the RH rad ('H' models) with the res out.

Antifreeze does not 'help' heat transfer. Running 90/10 for the purpose of increasing such transfer is counterproductive.

Something that didn't expand when heated would be cool.

Well, doesn't expand as much as water anyway. Physics pretty much requires it to expand some.....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom