goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
How can you properly torque the cylinder nuts since there is no way to get a socket on them? Also what is the easiest way to remove the kickstart knuckle? Thanks

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Motion Pro sells a torque wrench adapter.

Attachments

• torquewrenchadapter.gif
    torquewrenchadapter.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 245

A KDX BUZZ

Jun 10, 2001
I would try using a 6-point wrench rather than a 12-point,(as pictured) to reduce slippage/stripping. Make sure its a mm wrench, not a standard U.S. Wrench!! (not good for high torqued bolts)
You can try using a pipe to slip over the wrench to slowly torque it off.
But you must be able to torque these bolts back on properly at the specified levels,or very close. the wrench that BRush recomended would be perfect. Eventhough its a 12-point, it would achive torque spec. before slipping. The primary reason for 12 point wrenches/sockets, is to fit in tighter spots, but use them carefully when losening very tight bolts!,
especially when used w/ a torque applied device i.e. torque wrench or pipe, were slippage can happen very easy.
If you plan on doing this kind of work on a regular basis you must buy a torque wrench & learn the spec. torque sequence,or very close.
A GOOD TORQUE WRENCH! not a twenty dollar one. And maybe even buy the wrench pictured.
I may have to get one of those for myself!!
Good luck!
'98 KDX 200-'91 KDX 250

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by A KDX BUZZ
I would try using a 6-point wrench rather than a 12-point,(as pictured) to reduce slippage/stripping.

It's only 18 lbs.of torque for goodness sake.
The Motion Pro adapter is the right tool for the job. Remember to torque in stages in a crisscross pattern. (loosen the bolts in the same way). I would also think twice about slipping any pipes over wrenches before touching head or cylinder bolts. Cyl. should easily come off with a tee-handle and 12mm socket. Minimal effort is needed with the PM adapter. :silly:

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
Sorry...Forgot the kickstart question. Remove the nut holding it on to the shaft; undo the screw at the side; be careful when taking it out since there is a spring and ball bearing inside. After that, pull it apart. When you put it back together you might want to stake the screw to keep it from vibrating out and blue Locktite the nut.

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Thanks for all the replys. How do you know how much to increase the torque by if you use an extension on the torque wrench? Is there some formula? Or can someone just give me a ballpark number for torque if I use the Motion Pro adapter? Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Leave it to BRush to even put in a neat picture!! They've got this wrench hanging on the 'pro' rack at a local dealer. It works goot!

1. Conversions come with the tool.
2. No conversion necessary when the tool is attached 90º to your torque wrench.
3. 12 pts isn't enough (30º)!! 6 would be worthless.

'Ya...no buggering the nuts with so little torque. Don't worry 'bout it. DO use a torque wrench. Sure, any mech worth his salt could torque to 18 +/- the error on most wrenches..but better safe than sorry.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom