Apr 11, 2004
Hello,
I just bought my son a 01' YZ80 and I would like to get more bottom end out of it . I see where Moose makes a Torque plate for this bike. I just wondered if torque plates actually worked or if they are just a gimmick.
Or is there another way to get a little more low end out of this bike ?
Thanks,
Raz

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Does this torque plate cause the headpipe part of the expansion chamber to be shimmed away from the cylinder slightly? More headpipe length will increase low end (w/ some loss of top end.)

Apr 11, 2004
Here is what I am talking about , I see that this mounts on the intake. I have also seen ones mount on the exhaust , what is the better option or what is the difference ?
Thanks,

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
it spaces the reed cage out of the cylinder a bit , it lowers the compression ratio in the bottom end - gives it more volume. could work well if you have a realy affective pipe . But i think you will get more out of a gearing change or a good bottom end style port job. The yz 80's have pretty aggressive exh port timing wich yields a good mid to top end style power. This can be changed with a good port job . Typicaly when I port one of these the cylinder will get decked to retard the exh port timing. This will aid in giving it a broader style of poer along with head and intake timing changes.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Trying to bolt a bunch of stuff on to make a high RPM delivery engine act like a XR isn't going to work. As previously mentioned the flywheel weight is a really good starting point to make the engine act a bit different. VForce reed block might help a bit as well as proper jetting. Next up would be letting Eric Gorr wave his magic porting tool and associated building skills over the engine. Much outside of those things it's all going to be tiny gains with an associated loss in another areas. The KX & RM are MUCH better starting points for a lower end 2 stroke mini than either the YZ or CR.

Top Bottom