Apr 11, 2004
I just got my son a 01' YZ80 as he wants to try racing . He has had small four strokes before with his largest bike being an XR80 . Now he will need to learn technique all over again . Anyhow , I have exhaust options . I can run the whole stock setup or I can run a Pro Circuit platnium series with a FMF powercore II . What would be the best for him to learn on ? I have ridden this bike and other 80's and I know there isn't much until you hit the powerband .
Can this be eliminated ? I have seen torque plates that fit this bike, are they worth it ?
I just want to make the transition as smooth as possible and not let him get discouraged.
Thanks,
Raz

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
hilltop, that bike will never be easy to ride or cannot tame much the hit despite what you will do.
boyesen reeds seem to help to tame the hit, the same as a rev pipe but the pipe will kill bottom end.
for the pipe, if you have the possibility to try both, back to back, go for it and check for yourself. (i like the stock over any pipe but the price...)
eric-gorr can port it like you want. or\and make it big bore, 85 or 100.

that bike might not be competitive with the crf150r, but will be a greater learning tool. for learn racing i would choose the 80 any day.

good luck for the both of you :cool:

i forgot, jet the bike correctly and will not only make more power as you can tame the hit also...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2004
I do have the option to try both setups as I own both pipes . I do need to repack the stock pipe . So, you think the stock pipe would give the powercurve more suitable to a beginner ?
Thanks,

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i cannot give you a honest opinion on the pro circuit since i never tryed one. what i can say is the stock setup is very hard to beat as a all round pipe.
i´ve never seen a fine tuned stock setup being outperformed by a chromed pipe on track. :nod:
to compare both setups you have to fine tune the bike (jetting!!!) or you could never have a clean comparison.
check eric gorr website (foward motion). he has some samples of his books and there is a section on specific model tuning. great info!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Might want to look in to a flywheel weight. It won't change the power but it will make for a smoother transition and delivery. Easy to pop on & off depending on how you want it to feel and can be had for around $100 or less.

My son went from a hot rod XR80 to the most beastly of 85's a CR. It took just a little bit for him to get comfortable with it. We wnded up putting the flywheel weight on and he really liked it then once Eric Gorr worked his magic on the engine and made it a 101 he was even more stoked and it was way easier to ride.

Apr 11, 2004
Patman said:
Might want to look in to a flywheel weight. It won't change the power but it will make for a smoother transition and delivery. Easy to pop on & off depending on how you want it to feel and can be had for around $100 or less.

My son went from a hot rod XR80 to the most beastly of 85's a CR. It took just a little bit for him to get comfortable with it. We wnded up putting the flywheel weight on and he really liked it then once Eric Gorr worked his magic on the engine and made it a 101 he was even more stoked and it was way easier to ride.

I see you are from texas , I am from the metroplex. Have you ever been to the Burleson track ?
thanks for the info.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nope, I don't do the track thing, strictly in the woods on trails or trials down west of Austin.

The YZ & CR don't have a powervalve engine which makes them a bit trickier to transition to from a 4 stroke. Kids are usually pretty quick to adapt as long as they don't get intimidated from a bad crash.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:cool:

Apr 11, 2004
The ol' Bul has been around for 20+ years and cost me less money than any other bike I have owned. Always starts,can sit for 6 months and on 5 kicks or less and it is running,runs on bad gas , and runs like a Timex.
Thanks for the thumbs up !

Top Bottom