Torque vs. Rev- how much difference?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I have an FMF K-35 "Torque" pipe on my bike and am playing with the idea of getting a "Rev" pipe. I probably spend most of my time above 1/2 throttle than above.

If you've used both, how much difference is there between the two?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
If you ride allot at or above the KIPS opening RPM level (6000 RPMs) then the Rev pipe is for you. It doesn't have to do with throttle position, but the RPM range you ride in. If you ride your KDX like a 125 motocrosser and you like the feeling of a noticable hit in the power band, then you'll definately want the Rev pipe. I have both the -35 and the -30 and prefer the -35 torque pipe.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Rhodester said:
It doesn't have to do with throttle position, but the RPM range you ride in.

Explain this a little more.... how do you ride at full throttle but low RPM? Seems to me that throttle is tied directly to RPM?

I do like the "hit", so sounds like a K-30 might something fun to try. I can always resell it when/if I sell the bike.

I used to live in Boise and rode my MTB at Idaho City a bunch. If I lived there, I'd want the low end too. But you know the FMF ad that says "Pick your style" and has the track, the singletrack, something else, and the sandy wash? That sandy wash is ME.....

Thanks,

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I have the throttle pinned quite a bit in the lower RPM ranges. Any time I want power without wheel spin I pin it at low RPM levels. I can also cruise down a dirt road at 1/4 throttle and be at 7000 RPMs with the KIPS wide open. Most of my riding is done below 6000 RPMs. I like that torquey pull that I get below the KIPS opening point. If I'm play/racing my son, then I use that quick snap I get from higher RPMs. I find that riding on the KIPS valve just means I'm ripping the tire loose all of the time which is OK when I'm racing or just want to really get on it...but, most of my riding is below that intensity level (I tire too quickly at that pace).

I live in Meridian (just west of Boise) and find myself desert riding most of the time. My boys are a little intimidated by too hairy of woods riding (which I prefer) so I ride allot of open desert to accommodate them.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
If you've used both, how much difference is there between the two?
There is, "quite a lot". I found the torque pipe to really beef up the mid-range. The bike would pull a lot stronger through loose, power-robbing dirt than with the stock pipe. I didn't find a huge difference off the bottom.

The rev pipe puts the "strong pull" at the upper rpm ranges, like Rhodester said.

I usually run the torque pipe - but then I like to shift early, ride tight trails, & am more of a "lugger" than a "screamer" in riding style. Sounds like you might be a "rev" kind of guy!

BTW - Modifications and jetting make a huge difference. You can tone down - or "tone up" - the rev pipe's hit w/different jetting packages. I run a DF II reed valve, and that smooths things out, too - at least on low tension (I haven't tried high).

If you've got the $$, you'll have fun w/2 pipes!

Jeff

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…