Torque wrench adapter ??

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I cant find one in Australia. :bang: I found some posts about making a home made adapter with a 12mm spanner and a 3/8 socket. Here comes another 'Dodgy' pic in the hope it makes my question easier to understand. Now note the length from 'A' - 'B'. Would it matter if the one I make is as long as 'C' - 'D'? I know all about the 90 degree angle part but does the shaft length change the torque readings. Thanks all. :thumb:

Attachments

• dodgy adapter.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 155

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
The overall dimension will not change the torque reading on this application. The only way the length would be a factor is of the material flexed under a heavy torque.

Hey, is "Dodgy" good or bad? LOL

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Another stupid question probably. Sorry.

Looking from side on..... Does it matter if I make it like 'B' ? Does it have to be totally flat like 'A' ? Will 'B' be alright as long as the wrench stays 90 degrees from the adapter. Dont laugh too hard at my pics, I'm doing it with a broken scaphoid in each wrist, collarbone ...etc.... Ahh why not they're pretty dodgy pics. LMAO :rotfl:

Attachments

• dodgy wrench.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 151

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
If I understand your question mate, it deals with the offset from a straight line. that would be like adding an extension between the socket and a regular torque wrench. the offset would not screw up the torque reading. what you are describing can by purchased and it is called a "doubler". if the doubler is 12 inches from center to center of male square drive to female square drive then the torque wrench reading is cut in half when using the doubler. if the torque wrench shows 50 ft lbs you are actually applying 100 ft lbs. this is handy if you need more torque than your torque wrench can apply by itself.

bob
kdx200

'

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I don't know what this talk about 90 degrees is about. You want the torque wrench and the doubler to be in a straignt line. so that instead of applying 50 lbs of force 12 inches from the center of the socket you are applying 50 lbs of force 24 inches from the center of the socket. am I making sense mate?

bob

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'I don't know what this talk about 90 degrees is about.'

That isn't a question, but here's an answer anyway.

The 'talk' deals with the fact that you do not have to make any torque adjustments if an adapter is set at 90º to your wrench...the correct torque value as set on the wrench will be applied to the fastener.

As stated, this 'talk' applies to the 90º being in either axis.

As stated in the .pdf from MotionPro, "When the adapter is @ 90º to the torque wrench distance 'A'=zero." That distance ('A') is what makes the value of the equation change.

In what is being discussed, there is no 'doubling' involved. The point is that everything is kept the same.

So, 'No, KayDee. It won't matter.'

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Thanks everyone for your info. Here's another dodgy pic. lol . Is there any reason why this wont work?

Attachments

• dodgywrenchsml.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 160

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Kinda looks like a plug wrench with a bottle opener attached?

The term 'dodgy' is becoming quite clear to me, now. ;)

Well, in 'real-life' size it looks more like what it is :think:, a 3/8 drive socket stuck to a 12mm 12pt boxend wrench?

It will work just fine!

But, you knew that. You just wanted to show off your McGyver skills......;)

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
That will work as long as it is in a straight line with the torque wrench and it should be 12 inches center to center. if these conditions are met, then you will be applying twice the torque the torque wrench indicates.

bob

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Schweeeeeet ! ! ! Thanks all yet again. rlbranson you can use the adapter at a 90 degree angle to the wrench and the torque settings wont change. Im no good at maths so i'll use it that way. Your right CC and I didnt even use my pocket knife.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just one more pick?....I hope?

OK...so I didn't look up the guy's name...and I never watched the show, neither!

...but you got the idea anyways, 'eh?

Re:' as long as it is in a straight line with the torque wrench and it should be 12 inches center to center.'

I understand there was the introduction of the 'torque doubler' term and idea earlier. But that is not what started this thread (questions about how to make a torque doubler). Using a torque wrench and an adapter to correctly tighten the cylinder fasteners without using any formulas, conversions or math is the issue at hand.

The point is I sure don't want anyone unclear as to the two different things being talked about. Using any tool as an inline extension and not adjusting torque wrench settings/readings is going to result in something being broken.

Yeah...rlb has his point (well except for the 12" part...that figure is going to change based on the length of the torque wrench in question), but that's different from a 'no math' point.

Kaydee got it anyway...and he's the one that started this thread.

Mr. Who: I don't think your time is up yet, is it? ;)

Cheers!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…