Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Ok so I just bought a small torque wrench to tighten up the head/cylinder bolts on my bike. One problem it only torques 17 pounds and I need to torque 18 does one pound make a big difference, or should I give it a little more of a turn or....?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think maybe a crows foot will give you a bit more from the wrench.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
It is my undertsanding that very few torque wrenches are accurate, at either ends of the scale. You should use a wrench that is capable of keeping your target torque in the 20%-80% range of it's scale. Depending on how critical the part, or strength of the fastener, 2-3 ft. lbs. off, of a 18 ft.lb. torque, is proportionally a roll of the dice.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
You could also just set up a dial indicator on the top of the stud and measure the bolt stretch too, in a pinch.
Determing the values/amount of stud stretch are available form any stud manufacturer, probably available on line.
Ochster is right, you never really want to use your torque wrench on its edges of range. The reality of standard 2% error going to 4~5% error is a pretty big deal if you consider too much torque on a so so oem fastener in a high performance motor could be rewarded with poor sealing.
I was also taught that a crow foot @90degrees from the shaft of the t wrench is a 1 to 1 crossover, but thats not what you are talking about doing, eh JAYBIRD?

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
So what your saying is just because it goes to 17.5 pounds I should never use it that high because it won't be as accurate?. Also whats a crows foot?. Or should I take it back and buy a better one(bigger one too maybe). What size do most of you guys use?, the one I have in a 1/4 inch.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Originally posted by Matt_H
So what your saying is just because it goes to 17.5 pounds I should never use it that high because it won't be as accurate?. Also whats a crows foot?. Or should I take it back and buy a better one(bigger one too maybe). What size do most of you guys use?, the one I have in a 1/4 inch.

Really I/we are probably splitting hairs for most scenarios but in an ideal world I would be running two torque wrenches to fill all of my M/C needs... :thumb:

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
But in your opinion would you use this wrench. Now when you say it will be out since I'd be using it at its max would it be torquing it down more or less that what its set at?.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If you took it back and got a 3/8ths torque wrench that went from 10 lbs/ft to 80 lbs/ft that should cover everything that most normal people would use a torque wrench for on the bikes I have messed with.

the lack of accuracy rating of the torque wrench at the ends of its intended uses are +/-. They said earlier5% just for rhetoric if you had a torque wrench whose maximum value was a hundred it could be anything between 95 or 105.

a crows foot is a wrench shaped tool that would snap on to the end of a ratchet or torque wrench. They are sometimes called torque adapters since they will change the value of the wrench.
a torque wrench measures the force used between the center of the drive square to the handle .So if you had a foot long adapter that is sticking straight out from a foot long torque wrench the torque value at the bolt should be double what the wrench is reading. If you have a normal sized crows foot adapter<maybe 2 3 inches long> set at 90 degrees to the handle the imaginary hypotanuse<SP> between the handle and the center line of the nut /bolt you are tightening is relatively close to the actual length of the wrench but it is not the same. Probably closer than the accuracy of the wrench though, and most likely a lot closer than most of the torque wrenches used by the average mechanic.
If you use your 1/4" torque wrench for your levers , plastic ,carberator and bolts of that size often I would keep it and just buy the next size up.
Could come in handy if rebuilding a carberator for a car or for some electronic sensors etc....

I hope this helps you understand more about them.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Matt, if you are talking about the cylinder and cyl.-head bolts on your KX, then calm down!
You don't really need a torque wrench at all! TM for example does not supply their customers with any torque specs at all, so we have to work with the wrist-o-meter when assembling parts. ;)
I would suggest you use your wrench at the 17 setting. Then you will have your bolts at least tightened equally and that's more important than 1 pound + or -.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was actually talking about adding some torque with a longer crows foot. But I have to agree with Frank here...an open end wrench and tighten with the one-hand method will work. Just be sure you aren't Popeye after a spinich soufle'.

BTW...I have been shopping for a 1/4 torquer and found that Sears has some nice ones on sale and they are actually offering warranty on them as well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom