Totally new to bikes...what do I get?

Jul 6, 2008
Hey, I'm totally new to biking and thought maybe you guys could help!

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important): about 5 foot 4, about 95 to 100 pounds.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?: Not very physical or aggressive at all.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????: trail riding...so I guess woods
4) Do you have any riding experience?: No experience at all.
5) Do you think you will race ?: Doubt it.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?: Possibly for really general stuff.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?: It would be cool to have a Kawasaki, but I don't know if that's right for me, so not really that much preference. Small brands would be ok too.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?: I'm not sure if I have a dealer near me.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? As little as possible. I just bought a PRS guitar for $2,700 so I'm hoping not to spend TOO much.
10) Do you live in California? Nope.

Thanks in advance!

digifox

May 25, 2006
Kawasaki is one of the better starter bikes

Because
they last forever and still keep kicking, and they hardly ever break.

Try Craigslist and look for a 89-98 Kx or KDX 100 or 125

a 2-stroke will last you a bit longer before its out of power as you get older..

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Any of the major manufacturers (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc.) would be a decent bike. Stay away from the no-name cheap bikes as they don't survive and replacement parts are hard to come by.

You didn't mention your age so I don't know if you are a teenager and likely to grow some more.

Dirt bikes come in two basic varieties: "MX" and "off road".

The MX bikes are built for race and lack any frills, such as headlights, kickstand, etc. They will have high performance engines, which make them harder to start, a bit finicky, increases maintenance and requires the use of higher octane gas.

The "off road" models are a lot less expensive, will typically have a lower seat height, may be equipped with electric start and will have a built in kickstand. They won't have as good of a suspension as the MX bikes but if you are not hitting the jumps they can do fine.

What I would recommend for you is an off road model, 230 to 250 cc Four stroke. An example of such a bike is the Yamaha TTR-230 or a Honda CRF230F.

Rod

Jul 6, 2008
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Any of the major manufacturers (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc.) would be a decent bike. Stay away from the no-name cheap bikes as they don't survive and replacement parts are hard to come by.

You didn't mention your age so I don't know if you are a teenager and likely to grow some more.

Dirt bikes come in two basic varieties: "MX" and "off road".

The MX bikes are built for race and lack any frills, such as headlights, kickstand, etc. They will have high performance engines, which make them harder to start, a bit finicky, increases maintenance and requires the use of higher octane gas.

The "off road" models are a lot less expensive, will typically have a lower seat height, may be equipped with electric start and will have a built in kickstand. They won't have as good of a suspension as the MX bikes but if you are not hitting the jumps they can do fine.

What I would recommend for you is an off road model, 230 to 250 cc Four stroke. An example of such a bike is the Yamaha TTR-230 or a Honda CRF230F.

Rod

Thanks! I know I'm looking for an off-road bike. MX would be fun, but being in a band I need to try and keep the number of injuries to a minimum, and I've heard off-road trail riding is a bit safer.

Can you tell me how much those bikes cost?

Oh, and what type of safety equipment am I supposed to get in terms of brand? I've looked around and seen Thor makes cheap stuff, I'm just not sure if it's good.

Apr 30, 2007
I have had good luck with thor equipment so far.

+1 for Rod's post.

You can find a used CRF 230 for about 1800 bucks on craigslist or "fleabay" hehe. Take your time in searching.

Being as you're not aggressive at all, I might even suggest a CRF 150 F (this is the trail model, stay away from the CRF 150 R model which is for racing). They are getting as cheap as 1300 dollars or so, and should prove to be pretty low maintainance.

Getting either of these bikes also means no mixing gas, which is a strict requirement for 2-stroke engines.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The "off road" models are around $3500 to $4000 new (compared to $7000 for a MX bike) so used models are fairly cheap. When shopping around be sure to check on the tire wear as you could spend another $175 to get a new set of tires mounted, or $150 if you can mount the tires yourself.

As you have already figured out there will be a fair amount of additional equipment you will need. For yourself:

Absolutely essential, don't get on the bike without:
Helmet - $130 and up
Goggles - $20 and up

Very, VERY highly recommended:
Boots - $150 and up
Gloves - $20

Recommended:
Chest protector (also called a roost guard)
knee pads

If you are like me and crash a lot:
padded shorts
elbow guards
Jersey with pads
neck brace

To go with the bike you are going to need equipment to maintain it and stuff to haul it around. Some of this you will need right away but others you will accumulate over time

You will need a truck or some sort of trailer, or a friend. Hopefully you already have that covered.

Tie down straps
Gas can
Chain lube
Bike stand
Metric tools (8mm, 10mm, 12 mm wrench and socket as a minimum, plus screw drivers, pliers, etc.)

When you are negotiating to buy a bike ask the seller if he has any gear that he can throw in. Anybody who has been into dirt bikes for a while generally has a pile of old gear that is still useable and he might throw in a helmet and boots (and they might actually fit!). That might get you by until Xmas when you can hit your parents up for a $500 set of stylish gear.

Speaking of booits: I am tempted to put the boots into the MUST HAVE catagory. Dirt bike boots provide ankle support, heat sheild for the calves and most important steel toe. If you put a foot down wearing tennis shoes you are likely to smash your toes,twist an ankle or just plain mess up a leg when the bike traps it between the frame and the ground on a fall. If your band director is going to be dis-pleased if you are limping around during band practive then you should really wear boots.....

Rod

Jul 6, 2008
rmc_olderthandirt said:
The "off road" models are around $3500 to $4000 new (compared to $7000 for a MX bike) so used models are fairly cheap. When shopping around be sure to check on the tire wear as you could spend another $175 to get a new set of tires mounted, or $150 if you can mount the tires yourself.

As you have already figured out there will be a fair amount of additional equipment you will need. For yourself:

Absolutely essential, don't get on the bike without:
Helmet - $130 and up
Goggles - $20 and up

Very, VERY highly recommended:
Boots - $150 and up
Gloves - $20

Recommended:
Chest protector (also called a roost guard)
knee pads

If you are like me and crash a lot:
padded shorts
elbow guards
Jersey with pads
neck brace

To go with the bike you are going to need equipment to maintain it and stuff to haul it around. Some of this you will need right away but others you will accumulate over time

You will need a truck or some sort of trailer, or a friend. Hopefully you already have that covered.

Tie down straps
Gas can
Chain lube
Bike stand
Metric tools (8mm, 10mm, 12 mm wrench and socket as a minimum, plus screw drivers, pliers, etc.)

When you are negotiating to buy a bike ask the seller if he has any gear that he can throw in. Anybody who has been into dirt bikes for a while generally has a pile of old gear that is still useable and he might throw in a helmet and boots (and they might actually fit!). That might get you by until Xmas when you can hit your parents up for a $500 set of stylish gear.

Speaking of booits: I am tempted to put the boots into the MUST HAVE catagory. Dirt bike boots provide ankle support, heat sheild for the calves and most important steel toe. If you put a foot down wearing tennis shoes you are likely to smash your toes,twist an ankle or just plain mess up a leg when the bike traps it between the frame and the ground on a fall. If your band director is going to be dis-pleased if you are limping around during band practive then you should really wear boots.....

Rod

I am the band director :P. I play in a rock band, not a classical or school band. Quite a bit of the money I make from playing gigs and selling the CD we're recording soon will be going towards gear.

About the neck brace, how much do they usually go for? I picked up dirt bike magazine and I saw some in there for quite a bit of money. Not sure if it's worth spending that much, but I know collar bones are the most common break in trail riding. Oh and what about wrist guards...are those needed? I'm gonna try and get a lot of safety equipment because it really doesn't get the crowd pumped if you're playing guitar with broken bones all over :P.

Thanks for the responses so far.

May 22, 2006
I personally love 2 strokes. If you could, ask one of your friends to ride their bikes and ask them to teach you. Then once you have some knowledge get one of these ring dingers and you'll be screaming just to stay on it. Your first thought will be to sell it [as mine was aswell] but once you get the hang of it you'll be searching for more power.

Jul 6, 2008
x!TremeRider!x said:
I personally love 2 strokes. If you could, ask one of your friends to ride their bikes and ask them to teach you. Then once you have some knowledge get one of these ring dingers and you'll be screaming just to stay on it. Your first thought will be to sell it [as mine was aswell] but once you get the hang of it you'll be searching for more power.

Sadly none of my friends have dirt bikes. :(

Apr 30, 2007
MidtownTraffic said:
Not sure if it's worth spending that much, but I know collar bones are the most common break in trail riding. Oh and what about wrist guards...are those needed? I'm gonna try and get a lot of safety equipment because it really doesn't get the crowd pumped if you're playing guitar with broken bones all over :P.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Ah...I was back to my trusty little Samick in a week (broken and now kinda overlapping collarbone), but I couldn't play for extended periods of time. Ten minutes was my pain limit, but a couple days more than a week, and I was doing a LOT better.

Wrist guards? I've never seen anyone wear on while riding. I'm not sure, but they might make it super hard to hang on and operate throttle, clutch, and front brakes.

For a learner bike...I suggest staying away from a 2-stroke unless a heckuva deal comes your way.

As far as neck guards/braces go, while you're learning the basics, pick up a neck roll. They go for 30 bucks instead of the 399$ you see in most magazines. Also, when picking up gear, you can get some very high quality helmets for right around 70$ if you purchase them in the clearance section. A LOT of internet gear sites will have this section, and it would be well worth your time to check them for good boots, helmets, and chestprotector items.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom