Touble choosing a 125 or a 250 2 stroke bike

Zeuski

Dec 4, 2007
Hey guys, I need your advise.

I weigh about 180lbs and I'm about 6 feet tall. Im sure i will be slowly gaining weight because I am constantly in the gym. For years I ve been wanting a dirtbike and i finally made enough money to buy one. Im not going to race i just want power whenever i want it. I dont want a 4 stroke becaiuse my friend recently blew his motor and is dishing out like 900 to rebuild.Now the question is yz125? or yz 250?

Im leaning more towards the 125 only because my skill level isnt that great and it is a lil less expensive, but the place i go to watch people ride dirtbikes are mostly 85's. now when i listen to the 85's its just like max rpm on every gear, just BRAAPP BRAAAPPP!! and im just waiting for one of them to blow up. 125 is not that far from 85 and the size of the 125 bike is bigger so im thinking that i will end up doing the same thing to the thing and not going anywhere to fast.

Can you guess tell me everything you know about 125s and 250s, will the 125 fit me better than the 250? or vise versa? Ups and downs of both, and please educate me, im all open ears on this.....thanks guys

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
2 stroke engines fire every time the piston cycles, therefore they sound as if they are revving at 20,000rpm's when it is really at 10,000 rpm's or so, any way you can still rev a 2 stroke to he moon and not experience any difficulties. They are very reliable machines. A 250 2 stroke dirt bike will have substantually more HP than a 125 2 stroke. The amount of horsepower may dictate the level of your future injuries. You pick one.

Jan 3, 2007
You can always bump up the 125 to a 151 or 144 for more power but can not sleeve down a 250. Although the 250 can be de-tunned and can make for a easy bike to ride. I think you would be fine with eaither of them.

Brian1c

Nov 28, 2007
I am 155 lbs and 5'7" and have an RM250 and a CR250. I recently rode a buddy's YZ125 and if felt like a mini bike. I would definitely go larger. You will get used to it in a few weeks and have it forever. You'll be sick of the 125 in a couple of weeks

jcarautos1

Dec 3, 2007
I own a yz250 and weigh @ 170 lbs. This bike is awesome in dirt or trail. the problem i have with a 125 is they dont have the power i need to go over the jumps without rapping them out. My yz250 can either rap or slightly bog it to go over jumps and it will also trail ride without having to rap it out. The bikes are about the same heighth and can both be lowered if you are short like me. But with your height I would suggest the yz250. My boys both have 125s and are @ 6' tall also. Oldest is 17 years old and is already looking to upgrade to a 250 or 450. Youngest 13, is still intimidated by my bike but he loves to ride it.

Jan 3, 2007
Too bad the 167 kit over heats amazingly and cost the same price as Eric Gorr fully rebuilding your engine and boring and stroking to a 151 without as many problems as Max Powers setup.

rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
go 250 all the way. They are just better straight up. 125's suck unless you like hitting jumps at 15mph. Even if you are a beginner a 250 is better because you'll have power if you get into trouble like on the side of a hill or right before a jump or something whereas a 125 you have to compensate and use difficult clutch work via great throttle control. 250 you just gas it and get out of a difficult situation. As for boring out a 125 to a 144 or bigger that creates things you'll not like. Vibration like nothing else. you have a tiny motor with a bigger cylinder so the balence is off and they over heat a lot quicker making your already gutless bike have even less power. I only rode a 125 once when I was a little 13 year old and the only thing I liked was that it didn't take a lot of effort to put it back on the stand.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I bet the 125 has less power than the 85 when you compare power to weight ratios. I would go 250, this way you will have room to grow and also have the power when ever like you want.

TC21

May 31, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
Too bad the 167 kit over heats amazingly and cost the same price as Eric Gorr fully rebuilding your engine and boring and stroking to a 151 without as many problems as Max Powers setup.

It doesn't overheat anymore than a 151 and a 167 is more power by quite a bit.

ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
I have both, and I too am a beginner. My biggest problem is that I only get to ride maybe once, sometimes twice per month, but the 250 I have is fine for me out in the open, but in tight spots I have let it get me in a few crashes......got away from me a few weeks ago, hit a fence and broke off the foot brake lever, MS rod, etc....luckily I wasn't hurt very bad.

I have more fun right now riding my 125 because it doesn't feel like its gonna get away from me. I am still learning throttle and clutch control and believe me I need it on the '05 YZ 250 as a beginner.........

I bought the 250 first and then a few months later I bought the 125. In my opinion, I would get a used 125 or a new 250 4t and do some learning. You can get a used 125 pretty cheap nowadays, for about the cost of one hospital visit, and then you can move up to another bike when you feel your ready........

Take that for whats its worth.......as it is only my personal experience

P0PWAR

Oct 13, 2007
I weigh 155 and im 6'2. And I bought my first bike about a week ago and its a yz125. If your starting out definitely go for the 125. A 250 might be a little much for you beings how your just learning(as am I).

Top Bottom