wr200rider

Jun 21, 2006
yeah you need a hitch/ball. How far are you towing and is it uphill or downhill. I wouldn't want to tow anything more than a few hundred feet on flat ground with one of those, but maybe I'm wrong.

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I drive aircooled vw's daily. You should be able to pull a small trailer with two dirt bikes no problem. If your going to be pulling up any long hills or mountain passes you just need to be willing to run a little slower and a gear down. "lugging" a vw up a hill is the best way to blow an engine.
Vw's are a lot stronger and more versatile than most people think.

bobbyhill925

Aug 28, 2005
oilspot said:
I drive aircooled vw's daily. You should be able to pull a small trailer with two dirt bikes no problem. If your going to be pulling up any long hills or mountain passes you just need to be willing to run a little slower and a gear down. "lugging" a vw up a hill is the best way to blow an engine.
Vw's are a lot stronger and more versatile than most people think.

Yeah i wouldnt be towing far. 15 miles to gorman. but i live in the mountains so(frazier park, ca) and the road isnt really whindy but it is up hill for about 5 miles.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I used to drive VW bugs of that vintage and I am familiar with Frazeir Park,Goman, the Grapevine, I-5, etc.

The older VW bugs had a hard time getting themselves up and over those hills. Depending on the route you take you are talking a minimum of 6% grade and could be as high as 8% grade.

A full size MX bike weights about 225 Lbs, dry, so two would be 450 Lbs. A 6 gallon gas can (full) would weigh ~40 lbs. The trailer itself would weigh about $200.

If you are hauling two bikes then I assume you have a passenger, so you are already at 50% of the typical passenger load for a VW. With all the riding gear, tools, spare parts, and the above trailer you would easily get to the 1000 Lbs mark.

That is quite a load to put on a 36 year old car that was marginal in the first place.

Adding a trailer hitch to a VW is not so easy. I strongly advise against attaching anything to the bumper, they are way too flimsy. I have seen trailer hitches added to VWs that extended up to a point where they could attach to the frame. Keep in mind that anything you put under the engine will need to be removable if/when you need to remove the engine.

As for a hitch mounted carrier: If you mounted ~300 Lbs off the rear bumper you might get your little bug to pop a wheelie! You'll certainly make it squat pretty bad.

VW bugs were very light cars. They were a great car in their day, but I would not recommend using them as a tow vehicle.

Rod
As for a hitch mounted rack:

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
Do a small trailer for sure. You'll make it. You may end up in 2nd gear with the engine screeming to make it but the little engines will run high rpms all day long!
Buy the john muir book for your vw and make sure you keep it in tune. You'll be fine.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
:whoa:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Put one of these in it: :cool:

2tkred.jpg

rmc is correct about the hitch. You can't just bolt a ball to your bumper. You'll need a custom made hitch made out of heavy steel stock. Here's one that bolts to your lower engine/trans mount bolts and wedges behind the stock bumper:

Details.cfm

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom