firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I bought a '99 200 exc in March and absolutely love it. This is the best woods bike I've ever had and I've had a few. It is perfect for riding with the kids, never fouls a plug and is light as a feather. I ride with the little ones 90% of the time, but with the guys I wish I had a little more power for that 10% of my riding. I've got a guy just down the road who wants to trade me his '97 300exc. Is this a wise trade? Can I still putt with the kids on the 300? His bike has a lot less miles and is a little less hammered on than mine and has about the same add ons. Is this a fair trade or would I regret it?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The only way to know for sure is to borrow it and go for a ride. The pre-'98 300's have a wider, heavier feel than the next generation 300's, and will certainliy feel heavier and less nimble than your 200. But they have great motors when jetted right. Outstanding powerplant.

My philosphy is pick the bike that is best suited to most of your riding. If the 200 is perfect for 90% of what you do, well, there's your answer. I'm a 200 to 250 kind of guy (they are the most fun bikes, to me) so I might be biased.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I own a newer 300 and love it. I can't say enough good things about it. However if you ride woods mostly, I think you'd have more fun on the 200 over the older style 300. Just my $.02

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for all of your input. Sounds like keepin the 200 is the way to go. I sure love the bike and would hate to get rid of it and regret it. This bike just makes riding the tight woods so much easier than anything I've ridden. The power perfect for the tight trails and slime up here in the Northwest. My only concern is going over to central Oregon and riding the desert with my buddies who ride a cr500 and xr600, but I guess they should worry about riding these bikes with me in the woods. Thanks again for the input. Anyone out there think making this trade is a good idea?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
firffighter said:
Thanks for all of your input. Sounds like keepin the 200 is the way to go. I sure love the bike and would hate to get rid of it and regret it. This bike just makes riding the tight woods so much easier than anything I've ridden. The power perfect for the tight trails and slime up here in the Northwest. My only concern is going over to central Oregon and riding the desert with my buddies who ride a cr500 and xr600, but I guess they should worry about riding these bikes with me in the woods. Thanks again for the input. Anyone out there think making this trade is a good idea?

The answer to your second question as clear as a Zima. Get another bike for those ocassions when you ride more open areas. Whoo Hooo!!!

BTW - I love my 200 in the woods, the 400 is great on more open stuff, and my BRP is great on Fire Roads and and Dual Sport rides.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for the input. Seems like keeping the 200 is the way to go. It would be hard to get rid of a bike that I really have no problems with and is perfect for the woods riding here in Oregon. I may try to ride a newer 300 and someday buy a newer bike. Thanks again for the input.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom