css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I just orderd a trail-tech computer for my 220r. For those who have installed them on KDX's how hard/easy is it to do? Anything special I should know about?

Thanks in advance,
ELF

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
css_elfers said:
I just orderd a trail-tech computer for my 220r. For those who have installed them on KDX's how hard/easy is it to do? Anything special I should know about?

Thanks in advance,
ELF

It's easy. Just follow the instructions. Replace a rotor bolt with the included magnet bolt. Drill a small hole in the brake caliper(size of bit and hole location included in instructions..I believe with pictures). Install pick up on caliper. Route and zip-ty cable to follow brake line. I made a mounting bracket out of 2" x 1/4" angle aluminum bolting it to the factory odo mounting holes on the upper 3 tree. Install mounting plate on bracket. Set up the computer...I believe the magic number was 2146. Load up bike. Go ride! :cool: Took me about an hour. Let us know how it goes.

Later
Robb

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
magic number will vary depending on what front tire you are using. best way is to measure your front tire.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
The included plastic bar bracket works good. Later I purchased the billet dashboard which is even cooler. You will love the computer!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
JUSTRIDE415 said:
Anyone know what the number is one a CRF 250?

If you are referring to the "magic number" referred to before - all that is is the wheel circumfrence. It varies bike to bike, tire to tire. You need to measure yours. Mark tire at bottom by ground, mark start point on ground by the mark on tire. Roll forward until mark on tire back on bottom one revolution, measure distance between two marks in MM. That is the "magic number" for YOUR TIRE...ON YOUR BIKE... others will vary (but will be generally close).

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Heard that the next generation of Trail Tech was supposed to be available soon and would have an optional remote thumb switch for adjusting mileage. Nothing on the web site yet.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I have had one for about 2 years and it stopped working last summer. It says I'm going 80 mph when I know I'm only going about 30. I checked everything and can't find any problems so "oh well". Only thing I can say is Loctite the bolts that hold it on. Mine developed problems after it fell off during a sand-whoop riding session.

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
NM_KDX200 said:
I have had one for about 2 years and it stopped working last summer. It says I'm going 80 mph when I know I'm only going about 30. I checked everything and can't find any problems so "oh well". Only thing I can say is Loctite the bolts that hold it on. Mine developed problems after it fell off during a sand-whoop riding session.

Mine did that too. Turned out to be the magnet had fallen out of the "special" bolt. Replaced magnet...works again!

Later
Robb

BradFrost

Jan 2, 2005
Hmmm I got one of these too and it sure is handy for telling you just how overdue on your services you are :yikes:
The only thing I don't like is the very slight time lag between your actual movement and the digital displays speed reading.
It would be nice if you could leave the backlight on for more than a few seconds too.
I love the highest recorded speed feature.... always a buzz trying to add a few more digits to that one :ride:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
NM_KDX200 said:

contact Trail Tech. They are OUTSTANDING from a customer service standpoint. I have had two or three of these on a couple different bikes. I had similar issue to what you described. Problem was with the sensor and or wire between sensor and mount thingy. They replaced it for free LONG after any stated warranty had expired.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
NM_KDX200 said:

I had the same problom with mine. it just so happend that Jeff the man that owns Trail Tech was camping right next to me. I talked to him and he told me that the magnet was triggering the sensor twice on each pass. so he grabed his dril and headed over to my biek and explaned that the magnet needs to pass throught the lower half of the sensor not right in the middle (away from the wire that goes into the sensor). He drilled a new hole in the mounting bracket for my sensor and remounted it. That fixed it. :yeehaw:

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
css_elfers said:
Does 2182 ring a bell for the # on a stock front tire on a kdx????

ELF

2182 doesn't ring a bell. Although, my last get off in that rocky wash sure rung my bell. :coocoo:

Alright...when I measured the stock Dunlop 739FA (pos) on my '03, it measured 2146. I've since had several different tires on the frt and never re-measured. Since I do not use mine for time keeping events, the fudge factor does not bother me. However, it's best to measure YOUR tire and use that number.

It's been stated ealier: The easiest way to measure is to draw a starting line on the ground. Roll the frt tire up to the line until the middle of the tire is on the line. Mark the tire corresponding with the line on the ground. Roll the tire forward (will work backwards also...for those of you who like to be difficult) until the mark on the tire gets back to the ground. This will be one revolution. Make a mark on the ground. Now, measure the distance from one line to the other.

The tough part now for those of us in the US will be converting the measurement to MM. Just remember 1 inch equals 25.4mm. Good luck.

Later
Robb

Top Bottom