Freefall

Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with trail tech? I was thinking of adding their Vapor computer for the main reason that it has a tach. Any experience whether good or bad would be welcome.

Gerg

May 7, 2002
I got a prototype Vapor unit last year for my KTM 250 SX-F. It has the Tach as well as a temperature guage. In the case of the KTM, it's just a plug that screws into the top of the radiator. Other makes have an inline sensor that goes in a radiator hose, so you have to cut a hose and add the sensor.

I had a bit of trouble with the Tach at times, but that was mainly because it was a prototype model. On a dirt bike, without a battery, some of the features were limited, and some were not available, like the backlight.

Still, it's a nice unit, and I've just seen some pictures of the new surround you can add to it, with turn signal and high-beam indicator lights. Very nice!

My KDX has had an Endurance model on it for several years.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Greg:

Can you answer a simple question about the Endurance computer for me:

What is the resolution of the trip odometer?

From the pictures I have seen it appears that it displays 1/100ths of mile (ie, 25.36 miles instead of only tenths, 25.3). I have read elsewhere, however, that it only displays 1/10ths.

Can you clear that up for me? Thanks

Rod

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
re those things usable for an enduro with the addition of a strip chart?

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
kmccune said:
re those things usable for an enduro with the addition of a strip chart?

They would need to be resettable to 1/10ths (not just to zero, but to any mileage you need to adjust to) to use in an enduro.

Looking at the online manual, the "Adjustable Trip Distance Meter" looks like it does just that. Here's the manual: Clicky
Can anyone confirm this?

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thats as far as I got too, it looks like it should. I emailed several times but no answer.

zeerx

Jan 25, 2003
I just installed an Endurance on my KLR...mainly for the resettable-by-tenths feature on the trip meter. (KLR's only reset to zero) It registers in 100ths but is only resettable by 10ths which is really all you need. The two outer buttons are hard to use especially with gloves so I used a paper punch to punch out a couple small circles of rubber from an old inner tube and epoxied them to the buttons to raise them. Much better. There's a formula to figure out wheel size for calibration. But that only gets you close. I found if you ride and calibrate (adjusting wheel size as you go) you can get it very close to stock. You'll probably have to adjust it on a ride anyway because your odometer most likely woun't match the odometer of the bike that laid out the course. If you have any more questions lemme know. Rock on.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999

Top Bottom