scott76

Nov 7, 2007
I've been roadracing for 5 years and riding sportbikes for 15... I've had old (crappy) dirtbikes from time to time, but never kept them very long because there weren't many riding opportunities near me or people to ride with. Now I have a couple guys to ride with, I have access to some trails, and there is a small indoor MX park that I can ride in the winter. My main motiviation for getting a better dirbike is to stay on 2 wheels during the winter so I'm not so rusty when the roadrace season starts, and also just because dirt bikes are soo damn fun. I am a pretty hardcore rookie on the dirt though... I won't be attempting any huge doubles or entering a MX race. The indoor park I go to is all tabletops so it's safe for my lack of MX skill.

Here's the details:

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) 6'1" 230 lbs
2) Aggessive on a roadrace bike, safe on a dirtbike. I work out regularly and am in good shape.
3) I plan to ride- MX tracks, woods, fields and with friends.
4) 15 years experience on the street, 5 roadracing, very little in the dirt,
5) No offroad racing, maybe the occasional ice race.
6) I am mechanically inclined and will you be doing my own work?
7) I love 2 strokes, but 4 strokes are great too. Really like the ease of maintanence and cheap service costs of 2 strokes. No brand loyalty.
8) All 4 Japanese brands and a KTM dealer local.
9) I could go as high as $2000, but would very much like to keep it under $1500.
10) I live in Wisconsin.
11) I'm 33.

What do you guys think?

scott76

Nov 7, 2007
That's what I've been leaning towards. I will be riding a buddy's cr250 tommorrow and I'm looking forward to it. I have heard that the hit on them can be brutal though. I wonder if something a little more tame would make it easier for me to focus on off-road riding fundamentals, but a 125 will be even peakier, right?

Either way, I can't wait to try that cr tomorrow!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I usually hesitate to recommend a 250 2 stroke to a rider with little dirt experience, that being said your time on a road bike means throttle control shouldn't be an issue so based on that and your weight that would be my recommendation as well.

As far as the hit you can tame it a bit with a heavy flywheel weight and porting if you want to go that far.

Top Bottom