RMXkid

Jul 13, 2001
I have a 97 rmx 250 that has very little ride time on it and the transmission is leaking from the seal on the side of the motor that the shaft comes out of and hooks to the shifter. I was wonder how hard it would be to replace the seal and would have to split the cases on the motor to do it? Or can i just take the shifter and the cover off and put a new seal in it? Thanks for the help.

B

biglou

A Suzuki shop should be able to tell you if you can just change the seal from the outside or not. If it is anything like the kTm countershaft (sprocket) seal, you should be able to remove the shift lever, pry the old seal out, and carefully tap a new one in its place. Be sure to clean the area after you remove the old one, and run a very thin coat of plain old bearing grease around the inside of the new seal (the rubber, sealing part) with your finger. Tap it in place with a socket and a rubber mallet (or any hammer). Drive the new seal in square and don't drive it in too deep. Take not of how the old one is positioned before you pry it out.

In the pictures below, you can see the shift shaft seal below the countershaft area.  Some seals have a flange so you can only drive them in until that flange contacts the case, and that's it.  Notice on the countershaft seal that there is no flange.  That is why it is important to take note of how far it is driven in before you remove the old one.  Also note that while the metal ring on the seal looks like a thick, solid ring, it is in fact hollow, or "U-shaped", so it is more fragile than it looks.  This does make them relatively easier to remove, however.  But, be careful not to bend or crease the new seal when installing it or it will not work!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

biglou

Here are a couple pics of the countershaft seal replacement steps so you have an idea of what I am talking about.  The shift shaft will be the same, more or less, and smaller, but the principle is the same.  Hopefully, it will be removeable from the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:

RMXkid

Jul 13, 2001
thanks big lou. I'll have to ask my suzuki dealer if i can pop it out from the outside and put a new one it. This project looks alot eaiser than i thought it was going to be.

Top Bottom