powercart

Mar 29, 2002
I think that the manual knows what it is talking about....
The local bike store recomended 80 weight for my kdx, but the manual recomends a 10-30. So i decided to try both too see, Well let me tell you, the 80 weight stuff ran like crap and i swear I will never use it again. I couldnt shift, and I was hitting neutral every two seconds. I now run the 10-30 and also race it, and have never had any problems....:)

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
powercart you should have stepped up to 90 and seen how that worked. I like the 85 alright, but do sometimes hit neutral sometimes. I think now that it's warmer out I will switch to 90w.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
BTW if its fairly cold where you are (40f - 80f) I would go with the 10-40. if its usually over 50 and less than 100f then I would go with 20-50.

if its usually 75f-over 100 degrees I would go with 90W. if its between 50 & 60 go with the 80W

Hope this helps.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I use Spectro Clutch Saver 10w-30 with great success. I've never had a shifting problem of any kind. I change it after about 50 miles or sooner if I'm using the clutch a lot.

The only drawback is that it's pricey.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
I use Klotz Gear oil. It is a thinner oil and it makes the shifting smooth. The 80-90 weight stuff i have tried from Bel-Ray and i hated it. I was always missing shifts and it just seems to thick so i switched and will never go back.

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
I use Type F automatic transmission fluid. I first read about it in this forum and I tried it and liked it. Not to mention it's cheap. I change it frequently and the bike shifts great.

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I too use ATF type F works great,excellent clutch feel and best of all its cheap, plus its red color makes it easy to see in the oil window

martian

Mar 26, 2003
Thanks for all the input. I took the thick stuff back to the dealer and they traded me for some Motul 10-40 sysnthetic gear lube. I'll give that a try and see how it shifts.
Also the dealer had recommended the Motul synthetic for the premix,I think it is 800. They said I could mix it 50/1, but since the engine is new, I followed the recommended 32/1 ratio. It does smoke some when cold.

Since were on the oil subject any input on brands and ratios for premix?

phastphill

Sep 4, 2002
Motul 800t is very good stuff but pricy.I have used it in trials bikes at 80 to 1 and after 3 years the motor was spotless inside without any wear. I would think 50 to 1 or even 66 to 1 would be ok in a KDX. A lot of people in my area also use Optimol and seem to like it. In the tranny I use 10-30 when cold and 10-40 in summer and it works just fine.I put almost 10000 kms on an 89 KDX, lots of enduros and hare scrambles and a couple of 6 days of Mich....and never touched the clutch, worked fine the whole time.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic 2-stroke oil. Somebody on this site said it burns very cleanly. It's only about $3.50 / pint. That's about $5.00 / quart cheaper than BelRay H1R. I stick with the synthetics to prevent wear. I also mix 32:1 I figure it doesn't cost me anything to clean out my exhaust, but new piston and rings run around $150!!! I haven't noticed any difference in power between 40:1 and 32:1, so I follow the Kawi spec at 32:1!!! Just my $0.02!!!

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
ATF Type F if you want to change very frequently(every couple rides). WalMart for less than a dollar. Or....Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50 in the red bottle. Both work great and are cheaper than most tranny specific oils. Heck.... If you want to change frequently just use any 10-30 or 10-40 motor oil but make sure its not the kind with the "energy conserving" label.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by kevinkdx
I use Klotz Gear oil. It is a thinner oil and it makes the shifting smooth. The 80-90 weight stuff i have tried from Bel-Ray and i hated it. I was always missing shifts and it just seems to thick so i switched and will never go back.

I use belray but found the same porblem with the 80 weight gear oil. Now I use the multi grade according to the manual.

Kevin

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom